What's this [answered - heat shield]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] What's this [answered - heat shield]

Hi all can anyone tell me what this is please,in the Haynes manual it doesnít show it, it looks like a heat shield to me but ?? More importantly though how do I fix it,do/can I get a replacement? Many many thanks for your help

It is a heat shield, what model/year car do you have? I'm guessing it's a Corsa C but can't be sure. We might be able to track down a part number for you to get a replacement.
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Just did a little digging, if it is a Corsa C, then it's *probably* part number 9129912, numbered 11 in this diagram link

Some people seem to just take them off when they begin fall off but I wouldn't like to be the one to suggest it. If you can get yours off it'll probably have the part number stamped in somewhere allowing you to be sure that whatever you buy to replace it is correct.

If it is part number 9129912 then there is one on eBay for £20 here

Comment

Its a heat shield as JT says . Some people just remove it. This can be risky at the hot end near the engine as a heat shield underneath may stop dry grass catching fire etc. . But this one is near the back and is shielding to the side . How hot is it likely to get? GM design brief would allow for a traffic jam when its 45 degrees in the shade. And what is it protecting. Fuel tank then probably best to replace. But spare wheel well?

Breakers yard may be a good source.But they might charge £20 or so. Personally i would try and repair it with a piece of sheet metal, ideally welded, but joined with nuts and bolts or pop rivets would probably do. Then sort out a new fixing bolt. Its not structural so I doubt it would cause any problems with the mot if its repaired in a workmanlike way.But something about to drop off could fail..

Comment

Hi thatís excellent thank you great help Iíll dig out me logbook and see what corsa it is and Iíll let you know.i should have done that in the first place cheers and thanks for letting me join by the way

Comment

Hi itís a 2007 Corsa Design 1.2 16v 5sp petrol, think itís a Corsa-D sorry does this make sense many thanks. b

Comment

At that part of the car, I'd just take it off tbh.
              Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

It'll be a Corsa D if it's a 2007. If it were my car I'd remove the shield as Bug and Michael have said, assuming it's not one large piece that also covers the fuel tank (I doubt it would be!). If it's just that bit covering the spare wheel well you're unlikely to need it - but if you're uncomfortable with that the best thing you could do is remove it and check the part number (you might be able to see it without removing it, if you're lucky), then see about how much a replacement might cost (probably not a lot).

The heat shields appear to be part numbers 13211844 (for Flexfit system) or 13242821 (for all except Flexfit system), according to here and here, but I'd strongly suggest checking if you plan to replace. If it's the latter of the two, you can get them new super cheap, in which case replacing it is probably worth it - £10.86 delivered here
                Last edited by jt999; 05-12-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Hi all well looks like the spannerís are coming out lol me son can do it as he is learning mechanics thanks for the information while he is under there he can change the cv joint boot thatís got a split in it thanks all Iíll let you know whatís what when he does it

Comment

Working...
                  X