Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Left dipped beam not working

Hi Welcome to the forum.

Can you clarify a few points. Are you saying the bulbs went exceptionally bright before blowing? Are you sure both the headlight and sidelight failed at exactly the same moment? Could the side light have failed earlier but only noticed when the headlight failed.

I think you are saying the left side light was blown but is now working ok with a new bulb.

I think you are also saying the left headlight doesnt work with the original bulb,(which may have blown) nor a replacement you bought (which although unlikely could also be faulty) nor the right headlight bulb, known to have been working.

Are you sure you firmly and correctly fitted the wiring connector when trying the two replacement bulbs. Have you got the right headlight working again? If you believe the bulb to be ok, and the connector on fully try waggling it a bit with your fingers to see if the bulb lights. It could be a bit of a sloppy fit.

With blown bulbs you can often see that the filament is obviously broken,but sometimes they can blow but still appear intact. Replacing or swopping bulbs is one way of testing. I prefer to using the ohms function on a multimeter,that tests continuity. A useful tool for the car and home. On 20v Dc setting you may also be able to check if the wiring to the left headlight connector is live when it should be.
    Last edited by Bugman; 15-02-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Bugman, Thank you for your reply.

For the couple of seconds that they were on they seemed very bright, then the left side went out completely.

I’m not sure about the sidelight. It’s possible that the sidelight had already failed but it was working a couple of days before. After putting in a new bulb the left sidelight is now working.

The left headlight doesn’t work with the original bulb or the replacement. I put the original bulb in the right headlight and it worked. So I don’t think there was a problem with the bulb.

I’ve not got a multimeter but would a cheap one from Halfords do the job?

I’ll try fiddle around with the wiring and try the swapping the left and right bulbs today to see if that makes a difference.
      Do the left head lamp and sidelight run off the same wire? If the sidelight is getting power does this mean the headlamp should be too?

Cheers

Comment

Last edited by Bugman; 16-02-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply I'll pop into Halfords tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Vin

Comment

Vin. Note I was doing a fairly major amendment to my post at the time you replied. It may be more helpful than the one before.

Comment

Hi Bugman, thanks again for your detailed response. I got a multimeter from halfords and I managed to get a reading off it, so there was current going to the headlight. I had a fiddle with the fitting and luckily I managed to get the light to work.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for the update.
                Believe me the multimeter wont be wasted. Its one of those tools you can find multiple jobs for once you have one. Looking back there are loads of things I might otherwise have thrown away.

I have literally just found 2 aaa batteries in a drawer. one was 1.05v and should have been thrown away. The other 1.67 volts, serviceable. And inserting odd batteries can cause problems.My trail camera was doing weird things until I discovered a couple of the batteries were flat and had been reverse charged by the others .Their positive terminal had become negative. Until then I never knew non rechargeable batteries could do that.

Comment

Working...
                X