Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa-D 2009 both dipped beams not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa-D 2009 both dipped beams not working.

Hi,
    Newbie to the forum. Hello.
    After an hour or so of searching on the web and a couple of hours checking, thought it worth a post.

During the recent snow/ice/drop in temperature (might not be relevant) both dipped lights stopped working.
    Main beams, sidelights, indicators, rear fog etc. OK. I can hear a motor when I change the dip setting.
    Battery direct to back of bulbs out or in of the car show the bulbs are OK. This proves the return.
    Without running the car, but turning the dipped lights on there is no volts at the end of the wire. Did this just in case there were electronics that wilt under load.

Haynes manual or the owners manual I have seen does not identify any fuses, but direct to the control unit.
    I've checked all of the fuses on the car for continuity without removing them.

Not looked at the back of the switch yet.
    Wonder if anyone else had any ideas?

It is not as difficult as described by some posts to get at the back of the dipped bulbs. Just removal of either washer bottle neck or an air filter link. Back of headlamp has a twist off plastic lid.

I'll post again when I or the garage find out what fixes it.

TIA
    Dave
    Corsa D, 1.0, 2009, 3 Door

Hi, Welcome to the forum

I a cannot help directly, but you have said something that confuses me. You can indeed access the headlights by removing either the filler neck or airfilter/ducting.

But to change the dipped beam bulbs on my 2010 pre facelift corsa d you have to remove a cover that is a flat plate with a seal around its edges. It sort of slots in at one side and fixed in place with a wire clip . It is not easy to access and is very fiddly , especially the first time you do it. Other bulbs have a screw off lid and more easily accessed.

Are you 100% sure you have checked the correct bulbs.

It may be because my car is left hand drive. If i remember correctly the headlights are made by Valeo, so may be a different design to other OE headlight makers, or rhd cars. But I doubt there would be room for a screw off lid arrangement. I cant check it at present as I am in the uk and the car is in Bulgaria.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bugman.
      On my 1.0, 2009 the dipped beam and sidelight are accessed via a plastic 'jam jar' type lid that may have a rubber seal, I did not look.
      The dipped beam is held in place by a metal clip, 3 sided formed/bent wire that goes into 2 holes then clips into 2 hooks part of the base.
      I didn't consider access too fiddly but some may find it so.
      To get your hand in to the access lid, filler neck on passenger side (wiggle and pull), air tube (compress and move away). Then there is room for your hand to get at the plasic lid which only needs about 5min of clock turn to undo. There may be more or less room depending upon the model and engine size of car. Mine is basic.

Just wanted to counter act the stories of 'take the bumper' off. Now main beam access may need the bumper off as that is nearer the edge of the car. Pretty sure these are the dipped beam unless they are fog lights and the dip beams are are sub set of the main lights.

It was a rainy horrible day so I didn't try the instrument panel to look at the switch. Will see what the garage find tomorrow.

Thanks again,
      Dave

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
      Hi, Welcome to the forum

I a cannot help directly, but you have said something that confuses me. You can indeed access the headlights by removing either the filler neck or airfilter/ducting.

But to change the dipped beam bulbs on my 2010 pre facelift corsa d you have to remove a cover that is a flat plate with a seal around its edges. It sort of slots in at one side and fixed in place with a wire clip . It is not easy to access and is very fiddly , especially the first time you do it. Other bulbs have a screw off lid and more easily accessed.

Are you 100% sure you have checked the correct bulbs.

It may be because my car is left hand drive. If i remember correctly the headlights are made by Valeo, so may be a different design to other OE headlight makers, or rhd cars. But I doubt there would be room for a screw off lid arrangement. I cant check it at present as I am in the uk and the car is in Bulgaria.

Comment

You have said that both your dipped beam and side lights are accessed through 'a' screw off lid. I can only go by memory but I think its the side light and main beam that share the same hatch. I can understand getting disorientated between the two when comparing inside and out.
        I have have just had a brief look at a few youtube videos on changing Corsa D dipped beam bulbs. Some show the bumper off method. Others show the bumper on method. Even the uk ones show removing the plate I described, not a screw off lid. And only the dipped beam is accessed through that plate.

One video implied its quite easy, 'remove plate, pull bulb out, replace it , push bulb back in, replace plate and you're done'. In theory thats all there is to it, but the video was heavily edited showing the successful highlights, but not the difficulties, and didnt show the plate replacement , which is probably the hardest and most frustrating part of all

.I have changed 4 or 5 dipped beam bulbs. It gets slightly easier with practice using the correct techniques, but i am amazed anyone doing it for the first time would not find it extremely difficult and frustrating.

Even now when halfway through the job I begin to think the bumper off method doesnt seem such a bad idea after all.

Removing the plate is easy. Pulling the bulb out is not. You cant see what you are doing, access is tight, you have go by feel and bulb fit is very tight.. First time I made the mistake of unplugging it before removal and then trying to plug the wire back on after replacement. Almost impossible. You have to plug the new bulb on to the wire before attempting to feed the bulb back into place. This has to be done by feel, and by checking its progress into the headlights by looking through the glass from the outside.

Replacing the plate can be a nightmare. Its really difficult to get it to seat properly. If you dont it wont clip on.

I still suspect you checked the main beam not the dipped. I recommend looking at a couple of videos to check. Normally its unlikely both bulbs would fail at the same time, and there may be another explanation. But i have had to change at least 1 dipped beam bulb a year on my D so its possible.

If my memory has failed me or I have made any wrong assumptions please accept my apologies.
        Last edited by Bugman; 18-12-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Bugman you were right.
          And the problem was .... I mixed up the bulbs! Must have turned on the main beams, been blinded and remembered the wron locations.
          The garage changed the bulbs. They managed it without removing the bumper but did say it was difficult. If it had not been this it was back to Vauxhall as there are no fuses. They are driven by the body control unit.

The dipped beams are the ones nearest the edge of car behind the cover with a clip. So difficult to get to.
          The side lamps and main beams are behind the un-screwable cap. These can be changed without removing the bumper IMHO.
          I will take more care next time. More logical fault finding is a skill I am still working on.
          Thank you for all the comments.
          Dave

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
          You have said that both your dipped beam and side lights are accessed through 'a' screw off lid. I can only go by memory but I think its the side light and main beam that share the same hatch. I can understand getting disorientated between the two when comparing inside and out.
          I have have just had a brief look at a few youtube videos on changing Corsa D dipped beam bulbs. Some show the bumper off method. Others show the bumper on method. Even the uk ones show removing the plate I described, not a screw off lid. And only the dipped beam is accessed through that plate.

One video implied its quite easy, 'remove plate, pull bulb out, replace it , push bulb back in, replace plate and you're done'. In theory thats all there is to it, but the video was heavily edited showing the successful highlights, but not the difficulties, and didnt show the plate replacement , which is probably the hardest and most frustrating part of all

.I have changed 4 or 5 dipped beam bulbs. It gets slightly easier with practice using the correct techniques, but i am amazed anyone doing it for the first time would not find it extremely difficult and frustrating.

Even now when halfway through the job I begin to think the bumper off method doesnt seem such a bad idea after all.

Removing the plate is easy. Pulling the bulb out is not. You cant see what you are doing, access is tight, you have go by feel and bulb fit is very tight.. First time I made the mistake of unplugging it before removal and then trying to plug the wire back on after replacement. Almost impossible. You have to plug the new bulb on to the wire before attempting to feed the bulb back into place. This has to be done by feel, and by checking its progress into the headlights by looking through the glass from the outside.

Replacing the plate can be a nightmare. Its really difficult to get it to seat properly. If you dont it wont clip on.

I still suspect you checked the main beam not the dipped. I recommend looking at a couple of videos to check. Normally its unlikely both bulbs would fail at the same time, and there may be another explanation. But i have had to change at least 1 dipped beam bulb a year on my D so its possible.

If my memory has failed me or I have made any wrong assumptions please accept my apologies.

Comment

Glad its sorted. The first time I did it took about an hour for one side and it still takes me about half an hour . Paying a garage is money well spent

I like to use logic myself and yours seems fine to me. But it can only take you so far. Spock was only first officer on the start ship enterprise, not captain!

My daughter had Halfords fit new bulbs on her Audi a3, for a relatively small fixed fee. Those took an hour each as well. The manager was grumbling about excluding audis from the fixed fee in future. I wonder if they know about Corsa d's.

Comment

update. I have just had to change a side light bulb on my corsa D, right side (air filter side). No need to disconnect the air pipe. I just undid the air filter lid, and one screw that secures the air pipe to the slam panel. The lid and pipe can be moved far enough away to give access to the hatch without having to disconnect the pipe or air flow meter. . Probably enough to change the air filter as well although I didnt check this specifically. I can confirm it is a much easier job than changing the dipped headlight bulb.

Comment

Working...
              X