Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this strange wire sticking out under the glove compartment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] What is this strange wire sticking out under the glove compartment?

Hi. I'm new here and wonder if anyone can help me?
    I bought a 2010 Corsa 1.4 se about a week ago. I noticed this strange wire with a little click switch sticking out under the glove compartment.
    What is it? Is it something to be concerned about or can I just tuck it back in and forget about it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	aLzDocV - Imgur.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	111683

Click image for larger version

Name:	yDipB9a - Imgur.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	111684

Hi welcome to the forum

I dont recognise it. It looks like something fitted by a previous owner, possibly connected to an alarm system, media player or whatever that is no longer fitted.Factory fitted wiring doesnt usually poke out between trim panels like that. If everything seems to be working ok I would be inclined to ignore it, or tuck it away. But I wouldnt cut it off, just in case!

Comment

I honestly have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that I've seen aftermarket lighting kits with that kind of fitting. If you the previous owner's details on the V5 maybe drop them a letter with a sae enclosed.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Last edited by driv3r; 16-07-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Hmm. The car wont pass an mot if air bag warnings are showing so it needs fixing.
          I'm wondering if the strange wire might indeed be connected, or rather disconnected. Is it possible that a previous owner, rather than go to the trouble of fixing the seat switch, found a way of manually overiding the switch by disconnecting the wiring . If the ecu is happy with the signal ,or lack of signal, its getting there will be no warning light, fooling the mot tester .

The little switch could be a circuit tester and by pressing it you might have triggered a signal to the ECU which didnt like what it received and gave the fault code and red light.
          Is it possible the timing was related to your using the switch rather than the tyre change, or seat readjustment?

If it is a bodge the bodger might have known a routine that keeps the warning lights off.But its not a good idea as you dont know if the passenger airbag would still activate.

The aircon would probably need to be recharged with gas, which can be expensive.Especially if there are unknown faults and it needs to be done again.

SAE is a courtesy ,more common in the snail mail days. It means a stamped envelope addressed to yourself so they can reply at no cost.

Further thoughts. If it is the airbag wiring thats been bodged you might have some come back with the seller. IIRC its illegal for even a private seller to sell a car if its known to be dangerous.(I would assume this includes safety feature that you can reasonably assume to be functional) And if he knew that by pressing the red button it would trigger fault codes and likely to cost you money, you have a good cause for grievance. Proving it might be difficult.
          Last edited by Bugman; 16-07-2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
            Hmm. The car wont pass an mot if air bag warnings are showing so it needs fixing.
            I'm wondering if the strange wire might indeed be connected, or rather disconnected. Is it possible that a previous owner, rather than go to the trouble of fixing the seat switch, found a way of manually overiding the switch by disconnecting the wiring . If the ecu is happy with the signal ,or lack of signal, its getting there will be no warning light, fooling the mot tester .

The little switch could be a circuit tester and by pressing it you might have triggered a signal to the ECU which didnt like what it received and gave the fault code and red light.
            Is it possible the timing was related to your using the switch rather than the tyre change, or seat readjustment?

If it is a bodge the bodger might have known a routine that keeps the warning lights off.But its not a good idea as you dont know if the passenger airbag would still activate.

The aircon would probably need to be recharged with gas, which can be expensive.Especially if there are unknown faults and it needs to be done again.

SAE is a courtesy ,more common in the snail mail days. It means a stamped envelope addressed to yourself so they can reply at no cost.

Further thoughts. If it is the airbag wiring thats been bodged you might have some come back with the seller. IIRC its illegal for even a private seller to sell a car if its known to be dangerous.(I would assume this includes safety feature that you can reasonably assume to be functional) And if he knew that by pressing the red button it would trigger fault codes and likely to cost you money, you have a good cause for grievance. Proving it might be difficult.
            Last edited by driv3r; 16-07-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I may have been over the top with my idea. Tauruses suggestion of a lighting kit is more likely. Its Probably best to trace the wire back to where it originates

.Cat C cars can be fine but it may mean the seat was taken out during the repairs, and maybe even the airbag replaced. If the car was 5 years old at the time of repairs thats comparatively old in trade value terms and it doesnt take much damage to make it a cat C.

Regarding the brake discs and pads the same suggestion was made to me when I last had tyres fitted to my yaris.. The car is not used much and the discs sometimes get a bit rusty, but I knew they didnt need replacing. They have passed 2 Mot's since and still work great. Its a job where it may be worth getting a second opinion. But if you can do it yourself its probably a job worth doing.
              Last edited by Bugman; 17-07-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X