Heater direction control doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Heater direction control doesn't work

I have a Corsa 1.2 Club, 5 door, petrol.

The control knob for directing the heater doesn't do anything and I cannot get hot air onto the windscreen to demist. The nob rotates freely.

What I would like to know is:
    • How the knob operates - i.e. is it by cable, link rods or is it electrical?
    • How easy is it to remove the knob / access the mechanism behind it?

Any helpful answers greatly appreciated.

What year is your car? On the older models it is controlled by cables which can come adrift.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi,Did you get a solution for your problem? In my 1.2 Corsa (2008) turning the Control Knob points to all the different settings bit makes no difference to where the hot/cold/airconned air comes out.... always the front vents!The knob only points to settings, ie not turning through 360 degrees as I think others have posted about.Is it a fuse / electrical issue or does the 2008 Corsa operate cables/flaps etc?Any ideas?..... anyone?TiaJohn

Comment

Answering my own question (as I took the front of the dash to bits to investigate) there is a silver clip that holds the cable that adjusts the vent direction cable. The clip clips onto the back of the white casing, located roughly between the Fan Control knob and the Vent Direction knob.... if that makes sense. It is obviously (or should be!) a flipping tight fit onto the white plastic case and grips the (white) outer cable so that it shouldn't be able to move. BUT the clip obviously CAN unclip itself so the white cable can float around quite happily and ignore your turning the knob.....and it's a beggar to try and clip it back into place because of restricted access. Will probably have to remove the Glovebox Center Console and various bits of trim to get at it. Brilliant.... a naff 10p metal clip and hours of struggling in the freezing cold we have at the moment. Happy Christmas Vauxhall Design Team !

Comment

Thanks for updating us. Its helps others with the same problem. Any chance of posting photos if its not too late?

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
            What year is your car? On the older models it is controlled by cables which can come adrift.
            It is a 57 reg. I have since removed the radio and inspected the mechanism. It appears to be Bowden cable operated and it has, indeed, come adrift.

I haven't fixed it properly, but have set it to permanent demist for the time being.

Comment

Cable adrift

Thanks for your responses.

I have inspected the controls by removing the radio. There is indeed a cable that has come adrift. I haven't fixed it properly as I couldn't really see what I was doing, but I have manually set the control to demist for the winter.

I have to resist turning the knob, as it will work in one direction but not the other until the cable is properly fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by crware View Post
                Thanks for your responses.
                I have to resist turning the knob, as it will work in one direction but not the other until the cable is properly fixed.

Comment

Photo of rear of the Heater Control Unit

Hi again

This photo shows how and where the white cable attaches to the back of the unit for the "Vent Selection knob". On mine the plastic had splintered where the clip attaches.

So, this is the unit I bought off of eBay... where the guy had simply cut the white cable. There is also a second (black) cable that attaches in the same way, with a separate metal clip for the Heater Temperature knob (not shown in pic)

Hope this helps.... seems like a fragile design to me.

Good luck!
                  John

.....Sorry folks..... just tried 5 times to upload a photo (.jpg) and just get an unhelpful message from the site saying "Upload Failed" If you want the photo you can always PM me with your email address and I can send it. Or even try to upload it for me here for others. Cheers John

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear of Heater Controls 1 -1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	110675Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear of Heater Controls 2-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	110676

Comment

Thanks for uploading the photos for me Bugman.

Hope they help someone.

Happy Xmas and all the best for 2018 everyone

John

Comment

Working...
                      X