Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing parasitic drain + battery issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Corsa C 2000-2006] Testing parasitic drain + battery issues

    Hi all,

    Got a Corsa C 2002 model. Trying to find what's draining my battery overnight (or over 3 - 4 nights).

    Voltage across battery when off is 12.18.

    My problem comes when I try the AMP test. I disconnect the negative terminal, set the multimeter to 10A unfused and dial it to 10A limit.
    When I touch the negative lead to multimeter and then to the negative post, i hear sparks and tiny smoke. This also happens when re-connecting the battery normally. [1]
    I do get a reading of 0.02 ( which in a 10A scale means 200ma) which spikes to 0.07 (700ma), I assume the spike is allowed but the 200ma is still irregular. [2]

    [1] My main question is whether this is normal and can I carry on testing this way or does this already indicate a short somewhere.

    [2] Am I correct in saying this is 200ma and not 20ma?

    Anything I should do before carrying on and removing fuses and such?

    Thank you

  • #2
    Read this

    How to Find and Stop Car Battery Drains – DIY Car Battery Drain

    The battery ought to be in the region of 12.6v at rest, so give it a good overnight charge to make sure it's topped up. Then leave it disconnected and see what it drops back to. Just to make sure the battery itself is healthy.

    There shouldn't be enough load on a 2002 Corsa to draw 200Ma. Connect the meter up and wait for the current flow to settle. Then start pulling fuses one at a time until you discover the circuit with the drain. At least you'll have an idea where to start looking.

    Make sure there isn't anything aftermarket like an alarm or sound equipment that is connected with the ignition off. Look for obvious silly things like the boot light not switching off.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      Read this



      The battery ought to be in the region of 12.6v at rest, so give it a good overnight charge to make sure it's topped up. Then leave it disconnected and see what it drops back to. Just to make sure the battery itself is healthy.

      There shouldn't be enough load on a 2002 Corsa to draw 200Ma. Connect the meter up and wait for the current flow to settle. Then start pulling fuses one at a time until you discover the circuit with the drain. At least you'll have an idea where to start looking.

      Make sure there isn't anything aftermarket like an alarm or sound equipment that is connected with the ignition off. Look for obvious silly things like the boot light not switching off.
      I'll follow that tutorial but do you recall if the tiny spark made from connecting the ammeter (in series) is normal? Is that what you mean by letting the current flow settle i hope.

      Comment


      • #4
        You will get that spark if current is flowing, if there is a leak the spark will be a bit bigger. It is usual to get a small spark when reconnecting a battery, hence the warnings re fumes when charging and reconnecting.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

        Comment


        • #5
          Same problem...

          Milz1337 - did you find the problem? I have the same parasitic battery drain. Will also follow the tutorial.

          Are there any fuses that I shouldn't pull, for risk of damaging anything?

          Comment


          • #6
            Ok - had a look at the fuses. The driver side electric window fuse was taking between 0.06 to 0.15 amps (and not very stable) - which presumably isn't right.

            The radio/cd player/clock was also taking about 0.04 amps - is that okay, or a bit high?

            For now I've removed the window fuse - but any suggestions on how I can isolate and fix properly? (it would be nice to be able to open the window again!). I'm guessing that the most likely explanation is corrosion inside the door somewhere...?

            Comment

            Working...
            X