Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa Lite takes long to start after being switched off for an hour or more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Corsa Lite takes long to start after being switched off for an hour or more.

So I have a Corsa lite (2001) 1.4i...
    About a month back it started taking about five seconds to start if it had been parked for an hour or more. However if I switch it off and start it after about five minutes it has no problem and starts on the turn. In addition to this it recently started to switch off on occasion when I engage in neutral while driving. I've changed the fuel pump. Had the battery checked as well as the alternator. No idea what's going on. Please help.

Is this an automatic? If so check the starter inhibitor switch in the gear lever housing. It is designed to prevent you starting in gear so if it's cutting the engine when you shift the lever to neutral that's a clue to what it might be.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi. Its a manual.

Comment

When you say that it 'switches off', are you saying that the ignition system stops working, or that the engine 'stalls'?
        With regards to the starting problem, have you noticed a smell of petrol at all - If so that could account for the delay in starting. Suggest that when you start it, switch on the ignition, listen for the fuel pump priming, and engage the starter only after that sound stops. If it starts OK then, it may be lack of pressure that is causing the problem - Has the fuel filter been changed lately?

Regards

Comment

What do you mean by "engaging neutral" then? That's usually applied to automatics when the lever selects the N setting. On a manual neutral is anywhere inbetween all other gear selections. Do you mean if you're driving along and whilst moving knock it out of gear - or do you mean at a junction whilst stationary? The various sensors on the engine do different things under those varying conditions so we really need accurate information.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Wow thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it. By engaging in neutral I mean pushing the clutch in and yeah knocking it out of gear. I just started it this morning and it starts perfectly fine but the rev when it idles is really low. So I have to hit the gas so it won't switch off when I'm at a traffic light

Comment

Fuel filter was changed on the last service back in December.

Comment

Start with the idle control and throttle body - make sure they are clean and nothing is sticking. You can clean them up with carb cleaner. On the older 1.4 16v engine they are pain to get at!

Comment

Working...
                X