No announcement yet.

Engine won't stop after key is removed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Engine won't stop after key is removed.

Hi All,
    Newbie here.1st. Time Posting.Please be gentle lol.
    Niece is having above problem with her '57 Corsa 1.2 Club.All was ok until car had to be jump started on
    two occasions due to flat battery.Now engine won't stop when ignition is turned off and key withdrawn.Only way to stop engine was by stalling.Dont want to do this too often.Removed battery neg. terminal until I can figure out what is going on.If neg. battery terminal is reconnected,no key inserted,dash lights up as if key was inserted and turned normally.Dont like doing this too often either.
    Got Haynes Manual to see if there is a fuse I can pull without doing any harm,in order to stop the engine before disconnecting the battery.
    According to Wiring Diag.Fuse 14( think this should Be F4,typical Haynes)in Body Control Unit supplies ign. sw.So pulling this should hopefully stop engine,tho not sure if doing this a few times until problem is sorted will cause any harm.
    I've been doing a bit of research and it seems the Body Control Unit has a reputation for being problematic.Either corrupted(due to jump starting) or faulty.Or it may be the ignition sw.This itself
    is not easily accessed due to being integral part of Steering Column Electronic Module.
    Anybody been in this position?.If so,what was outcome?.
    Trying every avenue before going to Main Dealer and handing over blank cheque.
    Any advice on any of above gratefully received.

There are a range of possibilities - a fault with the ignition switch, some form of electrical leakage whereby power is getting back into a circuit (damp / corrosion / sticking relay) or a problem with the control module. It is very hard to tell without being able to actually check the car itself. I'd suggest an auto electrician rather than a main dealership. You're more likely to get it fixed and it will be cheaper.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      There are a range of possibilities - a fault with the ignition switch, some form of electrical leakage whereby power is getting back into a circuit (damp / corrosion / sticking relay) or a problem with the control module. It is very hard to tell without being able to actually check the car itself. I'd suggest an auto electrician rather than a main dealership. You're more likely to get it fixed and it will be cheaper.
      Thanks for the advice.Will ask about.See if somebody recommends a reputable auto spark.Too many rip off merchants about nowadays.

Comment

If you care to tell us in what area you live, it is possible that someone on here can recommend an Auto Electrician.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
          If you care to tell us in what area you live, it is possible that someone on here can recommend an Auto Electrician.

Regards

Comment

Good result. It is one reason why I prefer using a jump pack rather than jump leads these days. You get too many stories of events like this after jump leads have been used - modern electronics are filled with very fragile little elves who take exception to anything out of the ordinary.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
              Good result. It is one reason why I prefer using a jump pack rather than jump leads these days. You get too many stories of events like this after jump leads have been used - modern electronics are filled with very fragile little elves who take exception to anything out of the ordinary.
              Thanks for the reply Taurus.Interesting point.I know of these jump packs,but don't know what's inside them.How do they work?.Are they designed to protect the cars electronics?.Might buy one and throw the jump leads away.Any recommendations,make,spec. And price etc?.

Comment

Comment

Another point worth noting, is that there have been many kind people left wishing that they hadn't volunteered to give someone a jump start, as it has been their car, rather than the one being started that has suffered from their gesture.

Regards

Comment

Will check that out.Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
                      Another point worth noting, is that there have been many kind people left wishing that they hadn't volunteered to give someone a jump start, as it has been their car, rather than the one being started that has suffered from their gesture.

Regards
                      Thats the kinda luck I've got.lol.Ive also heard that bump or tow starting is not advised as well with some cars,as the timing belt or chain can jump,causing timing problems.
                      Maybe should just wrap our motors in cotton wool and taxi about instead.lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X