Drivers side tail light fuse instantly 'popping'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Drivers side tail light fuse instantly 'popping'

If the fuse blows instantly like that, there is probably a direct short to earth. Number one suspect is the bulb itself.
    Suggest that you remove the bulb, put the bulb holder back in the lamp and try it.
    As the same fuse feeds the number plate lights, it would be as well to remove and check them also.

Regards

Comment

If it's just that bulb proving an issue? If it's the fuse, you may have an issue opposite side front too.

Comment

I'll take it all apart again tomorrow and see what happens (assuming I find some time). That fuse is also tied to the drivers' side light, which had also obviously gone. I didn't notice the number plate light out, but I'll check.

Comment

So what makes you think the issue isn't at the front? That's my point b

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
            So what makes you think the issue isn't at the front? That's my point b
            I didn't say that. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow, as I said.

Edit: I didn't say it was a bulb, either: I said it was the fuse. I checked both before I posted here.

Comment

Jesus.

Remind me to try and help
              You in future.

I won't bother taking it from there then. Have fun.

Comment

The point we are trying to make is if several things are sharing the same fuse the fault could lie in any one of them,or its wiring circuit.Not necessarily the one you first noticed and are trying to fix. For you we may be stating the bleeding obvious.Others who might read this need more help in the dark art of tracing electrical gremlins by logical deduction. Mr Spock or missed a spark

Comment

Oh my god bugman how dare you try and offer advice for free!!

How dare uoj takr the time out of your day to help strangers!!

Comment

"If I can help somebody as I pass along,If I can cheer somebody with a word or a song,If I can show somebody he is travelling wrong,Then my living shall not be in vain! " They dont write songs like they used to. Yeah right. I just wanted to get my Spock Joke in.

Comment

Jesus.

Remind me to try and help
                      You in future.

I won't bother taking it from there then. Have fun.
                      I'd appreciate your "help" if you bothered to read the thread, but I can do without your sarcasm or trolling, whichever you think is appropriate here. Have fun!

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                      The point we are trying to make is if several things are sharing the same fuse the fault could lie in any one of them,or its wiring circuit.Not necessarily the one you first noticed and are trying to fix. For you we may be stating the bleeding obvious.Others who might read this need more help in the dark art of tracing electrical gremlins by logical deduction. Mr Spock or missed a spark
                      I appreciate that, and I checked everything suggested while I had a bit of time earlier. The brake light on that side wasn't working yesterday, but it was earlier this evening while I was running errands. I replaced the fuse again just to see if it had dried out, and it worked for about 10 minutes until it eventually popped again. I think water has entered from somewhere, frozen during the frost we had here the other morning and then managed to find its way through while defrosting.

Oh my god bugman how dare you try and offer advice for free!!

How dare uoj takr the time out of your day to help strangers!!
                      If all you're going to do is troll, head right on over to 4chan or 9gag; I hear they like your type.

Thanks to those with helpful replies!

Comment

Yeah, it's trolling*rolls eyes*

Comment

I am not an expert on car electrics. But I think the fact a fuse lasted 10 minutes before blowing may help with diagnosis. Was that 10 minutes with the car stationary or after 10 minutes with the car moving. Movement may have caused a momentary short to earth, stationary tends to suggest more gradual leakage. I think the time it popped immediately the light was switched on,but not before , may also help isolate the source(before or after the switch). But I am thinking like Mr Spock not Mr Sparks. I dont really know .
                          Last edited by Bugman; 23-02-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Unless a connection is actually immersed in water, it is unlikely that the fuse would blow instantly - even immersed, you are dealing with 12 volts here, not mains voltage.
                            Wet corrosion (the green stuff that you sometimes find on connections) on the otherhand, can conduct electricity of any voltage.
                            Suggest that you remove the said bulbs and check for signs of corrosion, but as Bugman says, a bit of vibration can cause a bared wire to make intermittent contact with earth and then, move away again.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                            X