No announcement yet.

Mysterious electrical fault.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Mysterious electrical fault.

My wife',s Corsa.B. automatic has developed yet another electrical fault after having run perfectly for a few weeks since the last fault which turned out to be the MAF..Now the engine won't stop running even when the key is withdrawn.

Her previous car was a morris minor which she ran for years until a year ago and never ever had any engine problems and she can't understand why a much later car can have so many seemingly baffling problems. I have tried to explain that modern cars are more efficient simply because they have many sensors which can be inter-related.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

First thing to check is the ignition switch.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thank you, Taurus .I will do that and post back. May I take this opportunity of wishing you a happy and peaceful Xmas and good health throughout the New Year.

Comment

As Torus says, the ig switch has to be number one suspect, but it is also possible that you are getting a 'back-feed' from somewhere - a 'whisker' between two fuses for example - it may mean drawing fuses one-at-a-time 'till you find the culprit.
        There could also be a problem with damp having got in somewhere and creating 'conductive crud'.

Happy new year

Comment

Hi. Walksall. Thank you for your kind reply. I have not yet attended to the problem due to the Xmas period and family visitors,however I value your input and will certainly include your suggestions on my checklist. I intend to first test the output connection on the ign .switch which I believe is terminal 30. and see whether it is live with the key in the "off""position.Following that I will go through the fuses and relays.
          May I wish you a peaceful and healthy New Year. Kind Regards. Mike.

Comment

FC"Mysterious fault" solved.
            Having first checked the ignition switch I then started to think about relays and here I was lucky since the very first relay I pulled sorted the problem.This was the relay for the engine immobiliser which in my car was situated in the engine compartment offside in a well adjacent to the brake fluid reservoir. I don't know if the immobiliser was original equipment or an aftermarket fitment --I suspect the latter. The immobiliser is now disabled and I have decided that the age of the car does not merit replacement.
            I think that this problem shows how electrical problems can be inter-related in modern cars via that master switchboard the ECU ,and can lead to some baffling symptoms.
            Thank you ,yet again to that indefatigable duo of Taurus and Walksall who selflessly give so much time and effort to this great little Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by cambox View Post
              Having first checked the ignition switch I then started to think about relays and here I was lucky since the very first relay I pulled sorted the problem.This was the relay for the engine immobiliser which in my car was situated in the engine compartment offside in a well adjacent to the brake fluid reservoir. I don't know if the immobiliser was original equipment or an aftermarket fitment --I suspect the latter. The immobiliser is now disabled and I have decided that the age of the car does not merit replacement.
              I think that this problem shows how electrical problems can be inter-related in modern cars via that master switchboard the ECU ,and can lead to some baffling symptoms.
              Thank you ,yet again to that indefatigable duo of Taurus and Walksall who selflessly give so much time and effort to this great little Forum.
              hi Cambox,
              so you just took the relay out while the car was on or of, or how did you do it?
              I mean how did you know to take out the relay.

I am just a curious reader here and also trying to learn my car , its an OPEL CORSA b , been really good to me.
              However , of late i have been having a pain in the butt problem with cranking ir before it starts and it is really sad in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by cambox View Post
                hi Cambox,
                so you just took the relay out while the car was on or of, or how did you do it?
                I mean how did you know to take out the relay. Are they those big plastic blocks by the fuse box also under the steering wheel around there?
                I also notice by my brake fluid i also see like a slim plastic casing and i guess in there some how there are going to be other relays..
                but yeh i dont have a reason to check my relays , "i think"
                who knows maybe its related to my crank issue, again

I am just a curious reader here and also trying to learn my car , its an OPEL CORSA b , been really good to me.
                However , of late i have been having a pain in the butt problem with cranking ir before it starts and it is really sad in a way.

/just general information
                for the love of me, i can not find my manual for this car , the dealer also never gave me a manual when i bought it very strange.
                Somebody gave me a link to a pdf for the Haynes manual 1997 to 2000 but i dont know m for some reason none of he pictures in there represent my engine bay and when i read stuff i dont know what they are referring to , 1.4 or 1.2 ot 1.6 i am so confussed.
                I dont find it useful for now, and i am sad because as i said i dont see the exact pictures in there that represent or resemble what my engine looks like.
                I would like to know whats cooking on my engine, example, what part is what and so on.

Comment

I am surprised you could get a pdf for the haynes manual.Its a commercial product so maybe it was a pirate. Vauxhall/ Opel do free pdf copies of the original owners handbooks that may help you more.Just do a google search . If you are unsure of your engine type post a photo of your engine bay. Someone will be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                    I am surprised you could get a pdf for the haynes manual.Its a commercial product so maybe it was a pirate. Vauxhall/ Opel do free pdf copies of the original owners handbooks that may help you more.Just do a google search . If you are unsure of your engine type post a photo of your engine bay. Someone will be able to help.
                    Taurus and Bugman for president

Comment

Working...
                    X