New oner needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] New oner needing help

Hi just bought my first Corsa, but it needs a few things doing. Its a 1999 1.2 16 valve petrol automatic, (don't know if its A or B) there is a misfire around 2500/3000 revs, the drivers electric door mirror needs replacing and the radio is pants. So I am on the lookout for a door mirror & radio. and if anyone can help with the misfire that would be great.... many thanks ..Colin..

New oner needing help

I'm afraid I can't help your problems but can tell you a 1999 model will be a B (the Corsa A was called a Nova here)

TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Start with a full service. Olkd plugs and filters can cause a misfire.

Check that the engine management light comes on with the ignition and goes off when the engine fires. If there is a misfire the EML should come on and a fault code recorded.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post

Check that the engine management light comes on with the ignition and goes off when the engine fires. If there is a misfire the EML should come on and a fault code recorded.
        Hi Taurus, many thanks for your reply, the engine management light comes on with the ignition and goes off when the engine fires. As normal so I doubt there is any code stored. but will change plugs and keep my fingers crossed...

Comment

Filters & Plugs renewed, misfire still present.

Comment

With no code being present you can't tell which cylinder is misfiring, or if it's random across all of them. Usually a misfire will throw a code telling which cylinder is misfiring, you then swap the injectors round to see if the misfire follows the injector or stay with the cylinder.

Other things to check are the coilpack. Since it's only at mid-range not a lot you can do except inspect the coilpack looking for any signs of damage, cracks or discolouration around the plug connectors. Spray liberally with WD40 to eliminate moisture tracking.

Try disconnecting the EGR valve, see if it still misfires. (You'll get the EML on of course and a code for the EGR but ignore it.) Occasionally a sticky EGR can cause a misfire.

Try the same with the AFM, unplugging will force the ECU into a default mode. It will run, just not a full power. But enough to see if the misfire is still present.

Check also for air leaks in the intake. Spraying WD40 or butane around the intake will cause the idle to rise if the gas is sucked into a leak. Be careful of course because they are both explosive.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

With no code being present you can't tell which cylinder is misfiring, or if it's random across all of them. Usually a misfire will throw a code telling which cylinder is misfiring, you then swap the injectors round to see if the misfire follows the injector or stay with the cylinder.

Other things to check are the coilpack. Since it's only at mid-range not a lot you can do except inspect the coilpack looking for any signs of damage, cracks or discolouration around the plug connectors. Spray liberally with WD40 to eliminate moisture tracking.

Try disconnecting the EGR valve, see if it still misfires. (You'll get the EML on of course and a code for the EGR but ignore it.) Occasionally a sticky EGR can cause a misfire.

Try the same with the AFM, unplugging will force the ECU into a default mode. It will run, just not a full power. But enough to see if the misfire is still present.

Check also for air leaks in the intake. Spraying WD40 or butane around the intake will cause the idle to rise if the gas is sucked into a leak. Be careful of course because they are both explosive.

Hi Mate will check these things when I get time. Cheers..

Comment

Okay,
                I need to know EGR and AFM what the heck lol what are these components.
                I would like to know for reference , and i guess when you read my start / crank issue maybe we can cross paths with these components?
                Also, hmm i have Q20 or Q10 spray , can i use that as a test ... by the air in take pipe,... but i dont know, why am i spraying it , what are we checking... and also where or how do i spray it, and do i do this whilst the car is idling.... again , what are we testing here and for what ?

Another interested user here ,

Thanks
                James

Comment

Working...
                X