Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horn not working, and only getting 8.5 volts....could it be the relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Horn not working, and only getting 8.5 volts....could it be the relay?

Hi everyone. My wifes 55 plate Corsa C horn isn't working, the horn is getting power of 8.5 volts when the button's pressed, and we can hear the relay clicking too. The horn is brand new and definitely works when connected directly to a 12v battery...any ideas what it might be causing it please?
    I'm hoping it's something cheap like a relay. Any help or suggestions is massively appreciated. Cheers for your time, Carl.

Welcome to the Forum.
    As you can hear the relay clicking, it rules out the actual horn push.
    It sounds very much as if you have got some high resistance in the circuit, which may or may not be caused by the relay contacts.
    The likely culprit is the earth wire from the horn (the brown one) - Try substituting this with a cable to a GOOD known earth (the engine block will do nicely) -If that 'cures' the problem, then replace the earth wire or maybe just clean up the actual connection to earth.
    If that doesn't work, try substituting the live feed (Red/Brown) by connecting the horn directly to the battery positive terminal.
    The relay is fed from Fuse 10 (which is a 10Amp fuse) It is worth pulling that fuse and checking that it is making a good connection in the fuse holder.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
      Welcome to the Forum.
      As you can hear the relay clicking, it rules out the actual horn push.
      It sounds very much as if you have got some high resistance in the circuit, which may or may not be caused by the relay contacts.
      The likely culprit is the earth wire from the horn (the brown one) - Try substituting this with a cable to a GOOD known earth (the engine block will do nicely) -If that 'cures' the problem, then replace the earth wire or maybe just clean up the actual connection to earth.
      If that doesn't work, try substituting the live feed (Red/Brown) by connecting the horn directly to the battery positive terminal.
      The relay is fed from Fuse 10 (which is a 10Amp fuse) It is worth pulling that fuse and checking that it is making a good connection in the fuse holder.

Regards
      Thanks very much for going to the time to reply. I tried what you said and I could only get it to beep when it was connected to the batteries live, so assumed there was a break in the live somewhere. In the end the 14 day re-MOT was coming to an end and work was stopping me from messing about too much so I ended up getting an auto electrician to check it, and turned out it was the relay. I could have easily changed it myself and wish I had now but you live and learn I suppose. I just assumed with it clicking and getting some voltage through it, it wouldn't be the relay to blame.

Thanks again for your help pal

Comment

Working...
      X