No announcement yet.

Rear light on driver side wont work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Rear light on driver side wont work.

Hi, another damn problem that I noticed when I did my lights check.

When I brake, all 3 lights are fine, when I turn on side lights my left side rear comes on, but my driver side rear does not, but it works fine when braking.

I swapped the circuit board from the passenger side to the drivers side and sure it worked, so went and got a replacement driver side rear light unit from scrappy, tried getting it working and it doesn't work.

o Changed bulbs
    o Changed light circuit board.

It's pointing at the electrics now and I don't know where to start, I've not slept since yesterday so probably going to have a nap now and come back to it.

I will re-swap over the circuit board that the bulbs connect to again, why I saw it work and went and got one when it doesn't is beyond me (I'm either off my tits or the car is taking the piss).

What could it be? remember that it lights up fine when breaking.

Thanks in advance. If anyone needs a Corsa C driver side rear light let me know as I now have spare!

EDIT: the bulbs for the rear lights have 2 coils, one lights up when lights are on, both light up when braking (at least for the working side) so I'm sure its correct bulbs.
    Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi - New Car
    Black 1.2 Corsa SXI Project - Sold
    Aruba Blue 1.0 Corsa Project - Sold

Would check with electric tester to see if your getting power and do the same at the plug connector behind drivers side rear quarter card.

Comment

Have you checked if the front driver's side sidelight is working? The two offside sidelights share a fuse (39 iirc 5A) - if that blew you'd lose both offside sidelights.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

Works when braking so didnt think it was fuse. Will check this now I've had some sleep lol

Comment

The small indicators on side of car on the wings ? They light both sides

Comment

Gets power when brake applied. Must be an issue with the power that's sent before brake applied. Not sure about my multimeter readings but they matched. This time left side rear didn't power on right side.
            Last edited by Aaron; 19-07-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Not sure what to do then.
              Last edited by Aaron; 19-07-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Car won't start now oh ****.

Just clicks but doesn't fire. Think ive made the batt go flat

Only noticed something wasn't right as driver light indicator pulse was normal but other side was half the rate....anyone nearby for a jump start? lol.

Dropbox - Error
                Dropbox - Error##

** This fault fix to be continued when I get my car to start again **
                Last edited by Aaron; 19-07-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I'm confused now - I thought this was the tail-light you were talking about, not the indicators?
                  1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

It is. My batt was dying and it was acting up.

Managed to get it to fire there and it's back to normal. Pulses match.

Disregard the talk about other lights as was the dead batt issue for playing for too long.

Back to trying to work out why my bulb lights up only when breaking now.

They is five pins in the cable. Is it the pins that define what light turns on and or does each pin link with its own wire or something?

I don't really know how it works . Two wires for the tail light. One broke for tail on but brake wire fine. Or something that sends the signal down a shared wire and that signal sender is broke?

I'm likely talking ****. I'm just trying to guess logically how it may work as ruled out all end of wire devices at the light end.

Edit: Tanktop I not sure what you mean about quarter guard but will find out, it was the light cable end I tested.
                    Last edited by Aaron; 19-07-2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Looking at the wiring diagram in Haynes but I am getting no clues about actual wiring location.

Comment

I've tried to scrub the contacts on the cable that clips into the lights in case any grime was causing an issue but alas no fixie yet.

Comment

Anyone know how to check fuses or relays?

Reading about it, if a relay of fuse went I would love both side and back (if it was indicators) but with it been rear, maybe it has its own fuse for the rear light? or would it NOT come on if brake was applied?

Can I check for blown fuses by inspection, anyone able to recommend how/where?

EDIT: Swapped my left and right side fuses over, no difference so they are also ruled out.
                          Last edited by Aaron; 20-07-2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Out of ideas

Comment

Was going to find a big wire to test stuff but cant get one, decided that I'm just going to have to create a work around then.

Will buy some crimps and some wire and connect my left side light to the right side light.

Wire; 5M 1mm 12V AUTO CABLE,CAR LOOM WIRE,16A, 1.0mm 32/0.20 | eBay
                              Crimps; CAR AUTO ELECTRICAL TERMINAL SELF STRIPPING CONNECTOR | eBay

Sound OK?

Comment

Working...
                              X