Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Corsa c total electrical failure

HELP!
    my sons corsa has been sat on the drive for several months awaiting his test. Car has been started weekly and all has been fine. Went to start it Friday night and totally dead.
    Battery is good.
    All fuses are good.
    New battery in key.
    I really don't know where to look next.
    Any ideas?

How do you know the battery is good?

Is the car turning over?

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
      How do you know the battery is good?

Is the car turning over?

Checked battery with meter. Not turning over. No dash lights.

Comment

What was the reading on the Meter?

Comment

A battery can show 12v on a multimeter and still have no charge in it. You may have been starting the car but remember that an alternator doesn't fully charge the battery, the old dynamo system would fully charge a battery that was flat but alternators work differently. You can jump start a car with an alternator system, drive 200 miles, and the battery will still be flat.

I'd try putting the battery on a trickle charge and then try it again.

NB Just in case it is really flat - A totally dead battery will not take a charge off a normal car battery charger. Either use an 'intelligent' charger, or a 400Ma gell cell charger, to prime the battery before putting it on a normal trickle charger.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Sorted.

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
            A battery can show 12v on a multimeter and still have no charge in it. You may have been starting the car but remember that an alternator doesn't fully charge the battery, the old dynamo system would fully charge a battery that was flat but alternators work differently. You can jump start a car with an alternator system, drive 200 miles, and the battery will still be flat.

I'd try putting the battery on a trickle charge and then try it again.

NB Just in case it is really flat - A totally dead battery will not take a charge off a normal car battery charger. Either use an 'intelligent' charger, or a 400Ma gell cell charger, to prime the battery before putting it on a normal trickle charger.

New new battery fitted. All good now.

Comment

Thanks Taurus and Vegas for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X