I'm sure it is, it was determined to be faulty after all

Leave a comment:

• Vegas
    replied
    Free I hope?

Leave a comment:

• jt999
    replied
    Turns out it was the light unit that was the issue - they've ordered me another one

Leave a comment:

• jt999
    replied
    Well I haven't anyway as I'm not that clever - I've changed a bulb

It's booked in Thursday morning, I'm hoping I don't get another low spec courtesy car, Audi at least gave me a car with toys

Leave a comment:

• craig55
    replied
    Could be internal failure of ipdm or bcm unit just let the dealer deal with it and don't tell them you touched it at all as if it is they will just claim you would have back fed it and give you a costly quote

Leave a comment:

• jt999
    replied
    That's not a thing right? I didn't try turning them around

Leave a comment:

• Vegas
    replied
    Hello Mr JT, you've fitted he bulbs upside down

Leave a comment:

• jt999
    replied
    Bulb wasn't working for a few days but has been intermittently working so no idea. And yeah tried googling but without much luck. Cheers for your input though all, part of me hopes it's something major so I don't end up looking like a dick at the dealers next week

Leave a comment:

• Vegas
    replied
    Clever stuff this canbus. My stereo controls don't work on steering wheel, I have canbus system. Had wiring checked and patch lead was all installed fine.

Apparently with canbus if it's not used for a while it "forgets" the feature and stops trying to work it. It would be pretty stupidif mercedesbut was your bulb out for a long time? Maybe was an oversight, id like to think not though.

My solution is to plug in standard stereo( turn it on, then system will remember the features. I can then put own stereo back in and controls should work. Have you tried googling the issue?

Leave a comment:

• jt999
    replied
    Originally posted by Bugman View Post
    My cunning plans are probably obsolete and best left to older cars. A new top end merc is almost certainly can bus. My limited understanding is that with this lights do not simply receive 12v from the wiring loom via a light switch. Each bub is monitored by and receives its electric supply from a lighting module -a computer. If the module senses a bulb has blown it tells you, and in some cases it modifies another bulb to do the job temporarily. For instance it might give reduced voltage to a brake light filament so it appears to be a tail light. Thus it can control voltage and might even cut supply to a circuit it considers its faulty or blown or if it doesnt know whats going on - such as a voltmeter being used. I have heard some are so sensitive they are only happy with OEM bulbs, and show other makes ,with slightly out of spec wattage, as defective.This might be your problem.

Its probably best to leave it to the dealer under warranty. However they might try and claim that bulbs are consumables and not covered. If possible fit an oem bulb before taking it in. This may even cure the problem, but if it does not you can rightly claim its not the bulb its the light fitting or can bus system,which should be covered.
    Not sure what most of that said but I'm sure it's all great

Already tried a bulb from one of the other lights on the car so will be OEM, it worked temporarily then stopped working also

Leave a comment:

• Bugman
    replied
    My cunning plans are probably obsolete and best left to older cars. A new top end merc is almost certainly can bus. My limited understanding is that with can bus lights do not simply receive 12v from the wiring loom via a light switch. Each bub is monitored by, and receives its electric supply from, a lighting module -a computer. If the module senses a bulb has blown it tells you, and in some cases it modifies another bulb to do the job temporarily. For instance it might give reduced voltage to a brake light filament so it appears to be a tail light. Thus it can control voltage and might even cut supply to a circuit it considers faulty or blown.It may be able to cut supply or reduce voltage when its not sure whats going on, such as a voltmeter being used. I have heard some are so sensitive they are only happy with OEM bulbs, and show other makes ,with slightly out of spec wattage, as defective.This might be your problem.

Its probably best to leave it to the dealer under warranty. However they might try and claim that bulbs are consumables and not covered. If possible fit an oem bulb before taking it in. This may even cure the problem, but if it does not you can rightly claim its not the bulb its the light fitting or can bus system,which should be covered.
    Last edited by Bugman; 08-07-2015, 03:32 PM. Reason: my grammar told me I must

Leave a comment:

• jt999
    replied
    He didn't look like he knew the intricacies of the A Class wiring though, I guess I'll find out next week!

Leave a comment:

• Taurus
    replied
    There was a bloke on telly last Sunday who works for Mercedes, Lewis something or other, seemed like a decent guy. Maybe he'll be working on it.

Leave a comment:

• jt999
    replied
    I've booked it in with Mercedes as I got annoyed with it, hopefully it's covered by warranty

Leave a comment:

Working...
X