Intermittent interior fan, Corsa '00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [All Models] Intermittent interior fan, Corsa '00

Corsa 3 door, 1 (or maybe 0.9) litre petrol.

This is odd. I ran my car battery flat last night (by leaving the fridge on). Jump started it, car works fine, except the internal fan won't work at all. Next time I started the car, the fan is fine. Next time I start the car it isn't, and so on. Got home, turned the ignition on and off loads of times, working fine every time now. Surely if the ignition switch was faulty, other things would also be off? And what's the flat battery to do with it?

It could be as simple as just being a coincidence.That age of Corsa was prone to bulkhead leaks and damp can get into the fan motor. The same was true of the same age Astra, had a few of them with intermittent fans. If it is damp they tend to work intermittently and eventually fail. Sometimes getting WD40 into the motor and clearing the scuttle drains helps.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      It could be as simple as just being a coincidence.That age of Corsa was prone to bulkhead leaks and damp can get into the fan motor. The same was true of the same age Astra, had a few of them with intermittent fans. If it is damp they tend to work intermittently and eventually fail. Sometimes getting WD40 into the motor and clearing the scuttle drains helps.

Funny thing is, we've just entered a heatwave! (Hence me using the fridge and running the battery flat.) Unless that caused evaporation of some damp?

Comment

Air conditioning is very good at de humidifying a car as well as cooling it. It condenses a lot of water just from normal air humidity. It may have extracted water from long standing dampness in floor carpets etc,caused by rainwater leaks, but exhausted it nearer your electrics.
        It might be worth checking that the aircon excess water drain pipe is not clogged or detached.
        Last edited by Bugman; 12-06-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

It's a basic model without aircon.

Comment

Ah. I misunderstood what you meant by fridge.

Comment

Oh. It's a portable thing for stopping chocolate melting.

Comment

Working...
              X