EML & ABS light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] EML & ABS light

I have a problem with my Corsa C 1.4 auto.

Since the battery went flat from being sat around for a few mths, the following faults have occured:

1. Engine Management Light on solid
    2. ABS Light on solid

The car starts, but at times requires a restart and when cold can idle a little bit rough initially

Performance seems ok, although fuel economy doesn't appear to be great.

To be honest I'm a little confused as to why these faults have suddenly occurred.

When I run a diagnostic using my basic ODB2 reader I get the following faults:

1. P0135 - Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
    2. P0141 - Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
    3. P0443 - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit

I am able to clear the faults, but only the EML will go out until I then restart the car again.

Any suggestions for a quick fix?

If not any ideas how much I should be paying someone to fix the problems?

Cheers,

What year is your Corsa C? Some of the early ones had issues with damp getting into the ECU and corrosion affecting the connectors. Getting these three together may be due to damp in the ECU connectors (or even the ECU itself) if it's been left standing for a long time.

There's no quick fix without thoroughly investigating the cause of the problem(s).

The P0135 & P0141 point to the heater circuits for the two O2 sensors having a problem. It could be both sensors, or the wiring, or the ECU. It's rare for both sensors to fail simultaneously. The P0443 could refer to the circuit or the ECU rather than the valve itself.

If you can't sort the issue yourself I'd talk to an independent auto-electrician who is more likely to know how to test the circuits rather than just start replacing components ad hoc.

Edit - have you checked the battery? If it was left flat for months then chances are a cell is dud so it's giving out low voltage. It might start the car, but that doesn't mean it's at full capacity. Low voltages will cause all sorts of issues.

Your other thread re. a central locking problem would also be caused by low battery voltage.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

It's a 55reg, so quite a late one.

I know what you mean wrt. going to a garage.

Yeah, it does seem rather strange as the car was working ok before.

Comment

Check the battery carefully, give it a 24 hour trickle charge, leave it for a few hours then check it's reading at least 12.5v

If you've got an intelligent charger put it through a repair cycle. Batteries don't like being left flat even for fairly short periods of time.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi,

I've now checked the battery using a multimeter and it reads 12.1V and 14.2V when the engine is running.

Any further thoughts? Debating due to the multitude of faults and no obvious root cause may have to send it to the stealers for diagnosis....

Comment

Managed to fix the EML - fuse 33 was missing from the fuse box!

Comment

Working...
            X