No announcement yet.

Issues starting - Immobiliser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Issues starting - Immobiliser?

hi folks can someone help ,I know zero about mechanics my daughter`s corsa 2008reg 1229cc immobiliser seems to have come on power going to dash,wipers,radio ect but car wont start ,I tried to give her a jump start engine kicked into life for about 2sec then died, immobiliser light stays on for about 10 sec after key removed hope this is enough info for you guys and that someone can help thank you

Please use more descriptive titles for threads - it's likely to get noticed by the right people then I've updated it for you.

Comment

Also posting in the right section may help. Moved!
      Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

We really need more information. When you say it won't start, is it cranking over or not?

Obviously it cranked and fired with the jump start, but depending on how you did it and the leads used, there may still be a reason do to with the battery and/or connections to it.

If it's the light with a symbol of a car with a spanner then it covers a wide range of engine electronics, not just the immobiliser. If it is the immobiliser then the light will flash. When it stays on steady it's usually something else.

You say your daughter's car is the 1229 - I assume you mean the petrol engine with manual transmission? Please confirm the details of the engine and transmission as the check light can refer to different things on different models.

If the engine electronics light is showing you may need to get the system checked for fault codes - since it won't start you can get a breakdown organisation to read the codes, or a mobile mechanic, or if you have a laptop buy Opcom which is Vauxhall specific diagnostic software that will do just about anything you can imagine.

The engine electronics light ought to come on when you first turn on the ignition, then go off once the engine is fired. If it doesn't fire then the light will stay on for a period, so it's not entirely clear from your information that there is a fault with the system - eg it could just be a dud battery that's causing your problem. Vauxhall ignition systems need a lot of power from a healthy battery to run the engine. If the battery is below par the engine can crank but not fire. On a jump start, if cheap leads are used the same can happen, especially if you just connect the leads and try to start the car. You need to let the donor car run with the leads connected for 15-20 minutes before trying to start the sick car.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

immobiliser fault,light flashing

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
          We really need more information. When you say it won't start, is it cranking over or not?

Obviously it cranked and fired with the jump start, but depending on how you did it and the leads used, there may still be a reason do to with the battery and/or connections to it.

If it's the light with a symbol of a car with a spanner then it covers a wide range of engine electronics, not just the immobiliser. If it is the immobiliser then the light will flash. When it stays on steady it's usually something else.

You say your daughter's car is the 1229 - I assume you mean the petrol engine with manual transmission? Please confirm the details of the engine and transmission as the check light can refer to different things on different models.

If the engine electronics light is showing you may need to get the system checked for fault codes - since it won't start you can get a breakdown organisation to read the codes, or a mobile mechanic, or if you have a laptop buy Opcom which is Vauxhall specific diagnostic software that will do just about anything you can imagine.

The engine electronics light ought to come on when you first turn on the ignition, then go off once the engine is fired. If it doesn't fire then the light will stay on for a period, so it's not entirely clear from your information that there is a fault with the system - eg it could just be a dud battery that's causing your problem. Vauxhall ignition systems need a lot of power from a healthy battery to run the engine. If the battery is below par the engine can crank but not fire. On a jump start, if cheap leads are used the same can happen, especially if you just connect the leads and try to start the car. You need to let the donor car run with the leads connected for 15-20 minutes before trying to start the sick car.
          Taurus thank you! the light with the spanner flashes and the engine wont start there is just a clicking noise also central locking wont work and it is the petrol manual version, I am about to try a brand new battery see if it works,but again showing my ignorance do I need a special lead to plug my laptop into the car,hope this gives you more info as I said all I know about the technical side of cars is how to switch on the radio,thanking you David Skilling

Comment

OK - if the electronics light is flashing then it is usually an immobiliser problem - but when the immobiliser cuts in the engine should still crank over at a good rate of knots. The clicking and failure of the central locking makes me suspect it isn't the immobiliser system itself.

Taking things one step at a time - for information - the immobiliser cuts off the fuel supply, everything else should work fine. In that situation the usual check is to make sure the key hasn't been dropped or damaged as the chip inside the key communicates with the transponder by the ignition switch to confirm a match. If the key is dropped or damaged that chip can be missing or broken.

If however the car isn't cranking over, just clicking, that's usually a battery issue. They can just die on you with no warning. If you've got a multimeter check the battery voltage with the engine off (it should read 12.5v minimum - anything less and the battery has a dud cell), and with the engine running (should be around 14v).

If you buy Opcom then what you get is the software to install on your laptop and a USB lead that connects between the laptop and the car's diagnostic port. It's dirt cheap and very powerful. Since it's a Vauxhall specific bit of kit it's great for working on the Corsa - just don't go playing with any settings you don't understand, it can re-write the car's software which can cause problems when people play with things they don't understand.

When removing a battery disconnect the earth terminal first, then the positive.

When fitting a new battery fit the positive first then the earth. That way, if you get a spanner between the live and the bodywork or the engine there's no current flow.

Check, check and check again before connecting a new battery - that the positive and earth terminals are the right way round. If you get them back to front for even a split second you will wreck the car's electronic control module.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
            X