Fog light relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog light relay

Hi could someone explain how the power to relay to front fogs works. I have activated them but need to add the wires. As diagram I think this is how it should be but 86 comes live as soon as I turn ignition on and not fog light switch.

This is how I think it should be

Comment

The diagram is wrong switch live should be 86 and ground 85

Comment

Reversing connections 85 and 86 probably would not make much difference - it is normal that 85 would be earthed (Negative)
        86 Should only be live when the actual fog light switch is turned to 'ON'
        30 should be live when the ignition is switched 'ON' - depending upon where you have picked the feed to it up from - If the fuse is fed from a PERMANENTLY live feed, then of course, 30 will be live all the time.
        Is there any chance that connections to 86 and 30 have been reversed? as that would give the problem that you describe..

Regards

Comment

Hi thanks for reply. Dont think anything been reversed. What I did was fit new fog light switch and insert the fuse and new relay. Then had fogs activated via Ofcom.

I presuming there is no wireing for fogs but thought I could wire from the relay in fuse box to the fogs.

But the power to relay comes on with ignition and fog light switch does not seem to do anything other than turn lfog amp indicator on on dash board.

Comment

It's the blue 15amp fuse and relay in top left

Comment

These

Comment

You may well find that there IS wiring to the fog lights already in the car - they just need connecting.

There SHOULD be power to the relay when the ignition is switched 'ON' - This should be to the relay CONTACT (terminal 30)
                Terminal 87 needs to connect to the fog lights.
                The connection from the fog light switch should go to terminal 86 which is one side of the relay coil.
                The other side of the relay coil (terminal 85) should be earthed.

When the fog light switch is turned 'ON', power should flow from the switch, through the relay coil and down to the earth connection.
                This results in the relay coil being energised.
                Magnetic force from the relay coil pulls in the contact, connecting a live feed to the fog lights.

Regards

Comment

Hi thanks for reply. Yes I understand all that but terminal 86 has got power when ignition is turned on regardless of whether fog light switch is on or off and there for energised and giving power to terminal 87. A bulb I rigged to terminal 87 lights up as soon as I turn the ignition on. What I dont understand is where is that power source coming from as I have no control to the relay from fog light switch as that does nothing.

Comment

It would seem that somehow, there is a feed to the relay coil when you turn 'ON' the ignition. This could be difficult to locate.

A simpler method could be to purchase a 'universal' relay with 'make' contacts (the standard type) and mount that near to the fuse box - you would then need to make a fused connection which becomes ;live; when the ignition is turned 'ON' to terminal 30, connecting terminal 87 to the fog lights. You then need the feed from the fog light switch to connect to terminal 86 and connect 87 to earth.

You could then remove the existing relay, as it is serving no useful purpose.

(You might be able to utilise the existing relay, but would need to find some way of mounting it securely)

Regards

Comment

Yes I have got a universal loom kit and this was my last resort my only problem is I'm not sure which wire or pin sends the 12v current from the fog light switch. Think there is like 10 wires attached and dont want to start cutting them all to find right one. I dont suppose you know. This is the switch

Comment

I'm not sure which is the feed from the switch to the relay coil, but if there is s brown wire in there with a red tracer stripe, it is likely to be that one.

Regards

Comment

Thanks I'm going to get them fitted tomz. Il whip out switch and see. If not il put original switch back and use a 3rd party switch.

Comment

Working...
                          X