Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Aftermarket head unit

Hi all,

Combo 2010, Z18Xe converted (myself). I also fitted Tigra type GID & hi-top shroud. I'm now considering an aftermarket radio to replace the Blaupunkt CD40, but will lose control of the trip computer functions without the factory radio in place. Have read that Astra H can still use it via steering wheel controls, but Corsa/ Tigra doesn't have such buttons on steering wheel.

Any ideas on how to retain control of trip computer without the factory head unit?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Cutlet27; 16-01-2020, 10:54 AM.

Hi welcome to the forum

This is not an area I know much about but the following web site appears to offer one possible solution Axxess RFASWC Universal Steering Wheel Controls Package Add steering wheel audio controls to your vehicle — works with an aftermarket car stereo's steering wheel control input at Crutchfield

Its an american site so possibly not the best way to go on price or convenience. But the device exists to meet this need and with some research you may find there are other cheaper and more attractive alternatives.

Or you might be able to upgrade your steering wheel to one from a higher spec model that has the controls. Changing the whole wheel would be probably be quite expensive what with airbags etc, and you normally need a special puller to remove it from its splines. But its possible the switches are largely interchangeable, with lower rent models (such as yours , and mine) just getting blanking plates in place of the switches. If this is the case someone might list the bits you need on ebay etc as a conversion kit,. It would probably use used parts.

If you cant get the switches that actually fit your wheel but can obtain the switches and connector cheaply from another model you might ,with some ingenuity, be able to mount them on the dashboard or somewhere . Or with more electrical knowledge and ingenuity possibly utilise other unrelated switches, such as electric window/mirror controls etc hard wired in or even an old games controller pad.

others may have more ideas.

Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Bugman; 16-01-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X