No announcement yet.

Corsa C 1.4 Automatic display problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Corsa C 1.4 Automatic display problem.

Hello, I am new to this site.

I have a problem with my Corsa. It is automatic transmission but the gears don't come up on the dashboard and no light comes on the gear rack so I have to count the number of clicks to make sure it is in the right gear. It came on once and I could see D, R etc on the dashboard but it has now disappeared again. I can see it faintly while it is sunny. It might be the light on the dashboard?

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Dirty contacts maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Hi welcome to the forum

If you can see warning lights faintly when its sunny its normally just because the sun itself is giving enough light to see the filter with the symbol. But its not actually lighting up. If you can see the display faintly but only in the dark then there is some power going to the bulbs, but not enough.

If the. gearbox itself works and changes gear as it should the problem probably is a loose or poor connection to the display lights,either their live feed or earthing. Particularly as it did illuminate once, albeit briefly.
    I believe 'dodgy' display lights is a known problem on early corsas. I dont know if this also extends to the automatic transmission lights.

Sometimes the display lights will work again if you press very hard on dashboard. (No dismantling, just press on it externally in situe. )
    I think this sometimes succeeds because the pressure and slight movement makes good (possibly only temporarily) dodgy connections that are part of the dashboard displays printed circuit boards. You could also try manipulating any wiring connector blocks and terminals that lead towards the dash display by looking and feeling behind the dash to see if this makes good an intermittent fault.

You could also check fuses. But I have had a quick look at the fusing diagram. I cant see any that relate only to this part of the display without causing problems elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
      Hi welcome to the forum

If you can see warning lights faintly when its sunny its normally just because the sun itself is giving enough light to see the filter with the symbol. But its not actually lighting up. If you can see the display faintly but only in the dark then there is some power going to the bulbs, but not enough.

If the. gearbox itself works and changes gear as it should the problem probably is a loose or poor connection to the display lights,either their live feed or earthing. Particularly as it did illuminate once, albeit briefly.
      I believe 'dodgy' display lights is a known problem on early corsas. I dont know if this also extends to the automatic transmission lights.

Sometimes the display lights will work again if you press very hard on dashboard. (No dismantling, just press on it externally in situe. )
      I think this sometimes succeeds because the pressure and slight movement makes good (possibly only temporarily) dodgy connections that are part of the dashboard displays printed circuit boards. You could also try manipulating any wiring connector blocks and terminals that lead towards the dash display by looking and feeling behind the dash to see if this makes good an intermittent fault.

You could also check fuses. But I have had a quick look at the fusing diagram. I cant see any that relate only to this part of the display without causing problems elsewhere.

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed post. I took the dash off today and I noticed that some of the bulbs have no power. I tried to find them everywhere and nowhere sold them. Halfords, Euro Car Parts etc. I need a twist lock bulb.

I also removed the casing off the gear box and it had a bulb in it with a black top so it is defnitely old and needs replacing.

Sorry to bother you but do you know which bulbs it could be for the dash lights? I also need one for the gear stick lights as well. Would LED bulbs work on these?

Thanks once again.

Comment

For some reason many parts suppliers do not appear to include dashboard light bulbs in their bulb compatibility lists for a particular model. But they may sell them. For instance Halfords do sell 509T /T5 twist lock dashboard bulbs (1.50) which are used by many cars. But their bulb list for the corsa does not list any dashboard bulbs. This may be because corsas do NOT use 509T's and they dont sell whatever type they do use.

You may have more luck taking it from the other direction. Research to find the bulb type/number used then google for suppliers of that type of bulb. You might need to remove a bulb to see if its marked with a type number, or to compare it visually with those listed for sale. You may also be able to temporarily substitute a bulb of the same type taken from another warning light that is known to be working to see if it works.

Also suppliers of led replacments who list on ebay etc may give you a clue in their compatibility listings. Even if you decide to buy a conventional replacement.

Sorry I dont know the bulb types use. Someone else may be able to help.

But if its a group of bulbs its less likely that all the bulbs have failed at the same time.An earthing problem ,wiring connector problem ,faulty switch, fuse etc that is common to them all may be more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
          For some reason many parts suppliers do not appear to include dashboard light bulbs in their bulb compatibility lists for a particular model. But they may sell them. For instance Halfords do sell 509T /T5 twist lock dashboard bulbs (1.50) which are used by many cars. But their bulb list for the corsa does not list any dashboard bulbs. This may be because corsas do NOT use 509T's and they dont sell whatever type they do use.

You may have more luck taking it from the other direction. Research to find the bulb type/number used then google for suppliers of that type of bulb. You might need to remove a bulb to see if its marked with a type number, or to compare it visually with those listed for sale. You may also be able to temporarily substitute a bulb of the same type taken from another warning light that is known to be working to see if it works.

Also suppliers of led replacments who list on ebay etc may give you a clue in their compatibility listings. Even if you decide to buy a conventional replacement.

Sorry I dont know the bulb types use. Someone else may be able to help.

But if its a group of bulbs its less likely that all the bulbs have failed at the same time.An earthing problem ,wiring connector problem ,faulty switch, fuse etc that is common to them all may be more likely.
          Hello,

Thank you for your reply once again.

I have had some success. I bought an upgrade kit off eBay and my dashboard and clock is now a lovely shade of red.

Thank you for your help.

You are so kind

Comment

Working...
          X