Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa B - heater fan not working and blowing fuse...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B] Corsa B - heater fan not working and blowing fuse...

Hi! My first post - sorry to be asking for help already. I''m sorting my mum's Corsa. It's a 1999 Auto with 21K on the clock - she's had it since about 2001.

The heater fan/motor doesn't work. I've changed the 30A maxiblade fuse - which was blown - and the new fuse blew as soon as I switched the fan on - and the fan didn't come on either...

Questions: is there a resistor that controls the fan motor - is it likely to be that?

Could someone tell me now to get to the fan motor? I probably need to get it out to have a look at it, and perhaps replace it. I can't find anything online to work out how to get it out, though. I'm reasonably handy, but I just don't want to go pulling bits of trim off that don't need pulling off!

Cheers,

Vulch

It probably is the heater resistor. The wires get hot on the resistor and melt together , blowing the fues. Resistor and part wire looms are on Ebay. If you remove the glove box , you will see the heater motor . Just follow the four wires back to the resistor. Let us know how you get on, or need more help.

Comment

I have removed the glove box and shelf underneath - I can see this - (image nicked from ebay) and the resistor is attached to the other side of the white block connector. Can I pull the block connector through, with the resistor? I've tried that, but I don't want to pull too hard in case it's not supposed to come out!

Comment

Yes its supposed to come out, they just pull out. I can't remember if on the corsa B , there pushed into slots or not .

Comment

Hmm... not sure this was supposed to come out quite this way, but it's out... Doesn't look to blown to me, but I've never seen a blown heater resistor before. I have a multimeter - do I need to do any more digging, or is it OK?

Comment

Yeah that's it. They can be difficult to get out. Well done. Do the wires look ok? You can check the ohms resistant on the terminals , by turning the blower speed from 1 to 4 . Cant remember what the resistants should be. But you should see it changing, when you turn the dial.

Comment

OK. I've put the resistor back in - ignition on. Blown maxiblade fuse replaced. open circuit/infinite resistance across the terminals going to the blower motor at all speeds on the dial. I changed to measure voltage across the same terminals - going to the blower motor. zero volts at the zero setting on the dial (where the fan symbol is) and then 14 volts (engine running) at steps 1 to 4 on the dial. There is a closed circuit/approx zero resistance across the wires attached to the motor, so I'm guessing it's the motor - am I right?

That looks like a bu99er to get out... is it?

Comment

Hi , yeah it looks like the motor from your result.
                it's a long time since I've taken out a heater motor
                on a Corsa B ' back in the nineties. But I think I can remember that I took most of the Dash out to remove it. I did see one once where someone had cut part of the dash away to get it out. No air bags in those day..

Comment

Working...
                X