Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Aftermarket Radio Fitting

Hello all

My Corsa is the 1.2v 2003 model with a 500 model CD / Radio player. Unfortunately the unit no longer works and needs replacing.

I've seen plenty of DAB/Bluetooth Ebay models but note the majority only have 1 port on the rear of the unit, whilst the OEM corsa has a total of 3. To keep the steering controls working with the player I'll need an adapter, however this still needs the new radio unit to have 2 ports to plug into.

Can anyone make any suggestions on what to do here? it's an old model so i'm really not looking to spend over the odds.

Originally posted by Renzakuken View Post
    Hello all

My Corsa is the 1.2v 2003 model with a 500 model CD / Radio player. Unfortunately the unit no longer works and needs replacing.

I've seen plenty of DAB/Bluetooth Ebay models but note the majority only have 1 port on the rear of the unit, whilst the OEM corsa has a total of 3. To keep the steering controls working with the player I'll need an adapter, however this still needs the new radio unit to have 2 ports to plug into.

Can anyone make any suggestions on what to do here? it's an old model so i'm really not looking to spend over the odds.
    I've not done this in a Corsa C, but it looks like they are standard ISO connectors (if not, you can get an adapter on ebay for sure, they seem to list this for your stereo assuming it's the CDR500, but I'm not sure it's required).

The new stereos you are looking at might have 1 connector on the stereo, but they'll go back to an ISO connector somewhere, which is usually 2 plugs, or those 2 plugs next to eachother so they look like 1.
    Last edited by jt999; 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM.
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Grand i'll take a further look

One last bit; the stock radio is 2din and so the replacement needs a fascia fitting to support the single 1din replacement radio. Below is a segment of storage space. My knowledge of soldering / electronics isn't much above wire stripping and then soldering similar coloured wires - how easy is it to wire in a usb cable to the 12v cigarette socket? I'd plan on having it threat through the back of the fascia for phone charging.

Can i make the safe assumption that as the 12v is fused, i could then just strip back the wires on the USB cable, and solder the neg/pos to corresponding sides of it, and then ensure the ground is earthed to the vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Renzakuken View Post
        Grand i'll take a further look

One last bit; the stock radio is 2din and so the replacement needs a fascia fitting to support the single 1din replacement radio. Below is a segment of storage space. My knowledge of soldering / electronics isn't much above wire stripping and then soldering similar coloured wires - how easy is it to wire in a usb cable to the 12v cigarette socket? I'd plan on having it threat through the back of the fascia for phone charging.

Can i make the safe assumption that as the 12v is fused, i could then just strip back the wires on the USB cable, and solder the neg/pos to corresponding sides of it, and then ensure the ground is earthed to the vehicle?
        It can be done, but a USB port is 5v rather than 12v so ensure you're getting something that steps the voltage down! I think they all will, but worth being sure so you don't fry your phones port or something when trying to charge
        I'd probably still suggest adding an inline fuse regardless of where you're pulling power from, but yes the cigarette socket will be fused and in my past I've tapped into that without extra fuses without any issue.

I looked into something similar for my Impreza, but as the stereo had USB I ended up using that and a flushmount USB port that simply acts as an extension (link) as it meant the stereo picked up the device for things like Apple CarPlay, and also charged the phone. You might find whatever stereo you choose has the option for something similar.

Comment

You can buy hard wired kits that step down to 5v usb sockets in various styles. . Just hard wire the 12v live and earth leads to the rear of the cigarette socket. But some ,especially cheapo ones, may not have a very high overall charging capacity and might struggle to charge or power more than one higher draw device such as a satnav at the same time. And if its fails you've lost all charging ability. An alternative is to fit a second cigarette lighter socket to run extra plug- in chargers.

I would recommend fitting an in line fuse to the radio live feed, of the correct rating . The cigarette lighter fuse one may be too high a rating . It will work but if there is a fault it might fry the radio before it blows.

Comment

Hello all

I bought a DAB/Bluetooth radio from ebay and a steering wheel audio controller adapter as well. The wiring diagram on the radio seems to match the adapter's but I can't see how to wire in the molex connector (4th picture). Does anyone have suggestions?

Comment

Just a quick update; plugged the adapter into the rear of the radio and it works just fine. With regards to the steering audio controls they, they obviously do not w/o the molex adapter being connected. Do we have any ideas on getting that connected?

Comment

It looks like that lead goes in between the stereo and the wiring harness, so i think the bottom left cable on pic 4 will plug into the stereo

Comment

Working...
                X