Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Tail/brake light blowing

Hi,
    I have been constantly blowing one of my brake/tail bulbs on my corsa C 1.2 sxi. Fuses look ok and bulb holder is dry and clean.. It blew today as soon as the lights were switched on and is actually popping bulbs.
    Any advice would be gratefully recieved and also would LED's solve the issue?

Cheers

Could the bulb holder be loose which is causing some arcing. The sudden sparking/power surge might blow the bulb. You may be able to improve things by bending the contacts slightly to make better contact.

Or are you always replacing the bulb with the same brand bulbs from the same source? It could be a bad batch pf poor quality bulbs.

Things might be better with LED's but personally I would want to resolve the fundamental cause rather than find a workround.

Comment

The two things that cause bulbs to fail early are (1) over-voltage (2) vibration.
      As you don't seem to be having this problem with other bulbs, I would suggest that the cause is as Bugman says above, poor quality bulbs.

There is another possibility which MIGHT be worth checking out - There is just a chance that the bulbs haven't actually failed, and when you change them, you inadvertently move the wiring, or otherwise disturb a poor connection. I would suggest that you check the 'failed' bulb by either visually looking for a broken filament or apply battery voltage to it to see if it works out of the bulb holder.

Regards

Comment

The failed bulbs are actually blowing out and breaking... I have had 3 different bulbs in although admittedly all cheap makes.

Comment

For the bulb to be 'blown' out of the bulb-holder, there has to be either a problem with the bulb or the holder (or possibly a combination of the two)

Comment

Sorry, i didn't mean they were actually blowing out the holder, just blowing and breaking.

Comment

Try swopping over the rear bulbs from one side to the other. ie remove the bulb that has never been a problem and put it in the suspect side and fit a new replacment on the 'good' side. If the known good bulb blows on the suspect side the problem is likely to be with the holder. If the new bulb blows on the side that has until then been ok its likely to be a faulty bulb.

Some of my classic cars had 6 volt electrics ,requiring 6 volt bulbs. They looked the same (apart from being marked 6v) but put one in a 12 volt car and they blew PDQ Maybe some far eastern bulb factoryr has been made some to 6volt spec and wrongly marked them as 12v. . The same bulbs may have been marketed under different brand names, who may not be fussy about quality if they got them cheap. 6volt bulbs are still made, but ironically they are normally more expensive due to a limited market.

It might be worth checking what voltage you are getting at the bulb holder and at the car battery. It should be just over 12v with the engine off, maybe 14v or so with the engine running. If you dont already have a basic multimeter its worth getting one as you will find many uses for it over the years.

Comment

Thanks... Just blew another bulb. Light was out so I gave it a thump this time and it flickered then died.

Comment

The fact that the bulb actually breaks when it fails, suggests that there is oxygen (air) inside the bulb, which should either contain an inert gas or be a vacuum.

Many years a go, a company called Tiger Lamps sold bulbs with a more-or-less 'lifetime guarantee' and at very much reduced prices.
                  These bulbs were of such low quality that by the next time the rep came round, there was a bucketful of bulbs for him to exchange - which he did without quibble, but it was costing us more in time spent changing bulbs than any savings which we had made.
                  I think that the name of these bulbs might have suggested where they were made.

Regards

Comment

Thanks.. I will try a decent set of bulbs next.. any recommendations?

Comment

Just go for a well known brand (in no particular order) such as Philips,Osram,Lucas, GE (general electric) Halfords own brand probably ok. Names that have a reputation to lose if the bulbs are rubbish.

That doesnt mean they will not be made in China. Indeed many well known car parts brand names are now owned by chinese companies. China can,and does, produce some top quality products with good quality control. But they also seem willing to make rubbish imitations ,sometimes of better chinese made versions, sold cheap as 'no name' brands. Or worse still mark and package them as a pirate copy of a reputable brand. For this reason its better to buy from a reputable retailer , as unknown internet sellers may be less scrupulous about the origins of their products.

Comment

I totally agree with those remarks on products made in China, there are some brilliant products from there, but I just wish that they would stop flooding our markets with their rubbish products (of all descriptions)

Comment

Working...
                        X