Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa D - Random cut out problem - remove coil connection starts backup Help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa D - Random cut out problem - remove coil connection starts backup Help needed

Hi wondering if anyone can help I drive a Corsa D Black Edition 1.4 turbo (Engine A14NEL) The engine cut randomly about a month ago, and wouldn't start, I got toed to a garaged and she started right up. Decided to risk it but unfortunately car had two wobbles within 10 minutes so managed to get it going and get back to the garage said they could hear a miss fire so changed coil pack, the car ran fine for a couple of days and then started to cut out again with no pattern.
    Initially it would only die on deceleration or setting off from lights around the time you change for 3rd gear.
    I have since changed the crank sensor as I heard that is a common fault, weirdly enough although the car originally cut out when slowing down or setting off this has started happening when driving down the motor way.
    When the car dies I have learnt that if I remove the coil pack connector or wiggle it, she starts right back up every time, sometime's its okay for a bit other times it will cut out within 5 minutes. I have wiggled the cables whilst running but wasn't able to make it cut out. The fan seems to kick in and you hear something change when the coolant gets to 100c then cools back down around 90. Car seems to be idling around 760 rpm

You can kind of tell when its going to act up as the car idols oddly can feel a slight vibration in the foot well/through the pedals, there are no Faults on the ECU at any any points in the month I've been trying to get to the bottom of this any help is appreciated

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.

When you say, "There are no faults on the ECU", I take it that you are saying that no fault codes have been thrown up.

The fact that removing or wiggling the coil pack plug cures the problem albeit temporarily, suggests that there may well be a problem in that area, but as moving the cable when the engine is running does not induce the problem, it could well be the actual pins and sockets in the plug that are not making good electrical contact (only a suggestion)
    It might be worth buying a can of switch cleaner (contact cleaner) - remove the plug and give both halves a squirt, plug it in and remove it two or three times and you MIGHT cure the problem.
    Anything more than that might require the use of a multimeter to check the continuity of the cable.

On these odd sort of problems, it is possible to be led astray, for example, the wiggle of the cable MIGHT just coincide with something else happening. I have for example, come across cases where paper, plastic or even a leaf have been found in the fuel tank, blocking the outlet from time-to-time.

One other thought, that really should be first port of call, is to ask if the car has had a FULL service lately or is anything like due for one.

If it is some time since you had the fault codes read, it might pay to repeat that and see if anything shows up now.

Regards.

Comment

Like you I would of changed the crank sensor. Other possibilities it could be are fuel pump, fuel pump relay. Or main ignition relay. When you disconnect the coil pack and then reconnect it. You are renergising the immobiliser which is commanding the spark and fuel systems . When it's in the non start again try and see if it's fuel or spark is the problem. You could try removing the air intake hose from the throttle body and spray a little bit of brake cleaner or easy start into the throttle body and see if it wants to start . That way you will know if it's fuel or a non spark thats causing your problem.

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for taking the time to reply, I now have the car back from the garage as the mechanic is away till Tuesday and has so far been unsuccessful finding out the cause.

No I have purchased an op-com and there have been no DTC's, I pulled the maf to make it error so its working. And also pulled the coil pack connection off whilst the car was running to see if that gave a DTC but it didn't.

I've got some as cleaned the maf and the map the other night, so will give that a try.

I was thinking that get a multi meter on the sensors see if I can find a issue, I set torqu up to monitor some sensors on the drive home then but she was fine.

Yeah car has a full service history and myself/dad serviced it 4,000 miles ago, if I hear anything I'm usually quick check or sort it. I only use tesco 99, odly enough the problem first occurred 5 minutes after filling up one morning cut out setting off from some lights I have put redx through her and had BP or shell since think I'm two or three tanks in now.

Will keep you posted any advice of other bits to check this weekend would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Restorer View Post
          Like you I would of changed the crank sensor. Other possibilities it could be are fuel pump, fuel pump relay. Or main ignition relay. When you disconnect the coil pack and then reconnect it. You are renergising the immobiliser which is commanding the spark and fuel systems . When it's in the non start again try and see if it's fuel or spark is the problem. You could try removing the air intake hose from the throttle body and spray a little bit of brake cleaner or easy start into the throttle body and see if it wants to start . That way you will know if it's fuel or a non spark thats causing your problem.
          Thanks will go pick some up now and keep some in the car, my next test was to remove the fuel cap I read somewhere when it doesn't start to try that to test for a vacuum or something.

Comment

Working...
          X