N/S rear light cluster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] N/S rear light cluster

Forgive me for sounding thick... but can anyone please tell me what this part of the n/s rear light cluster do? There is a bulb in the section (arrowed in the picture) Thought it was a fog light - but there are 3 Corsa D's in the household and all 3 are the same. Fog light on the o/s works fine on all the cars, but to be honest, I'm stumped as to what the heck this light does. Be grateful if anyone could sort this mystery out for me lol...

It could be a fog light for a lefthand Drive .

Comment

I thought that too... You would think that they would have blanked it out some way depending on what side of the road it would be driven on. Thing that stumps me is that there is a bulb in it - same as the other Corsa D's at home. I have tried every light switch just to see if something switched it on, but nothing happens. It's probably one of those simple things just sent to baffle you lol...

Comment

It's cheaper to make a single type of light for all countries, and fit some bulbs never to be used, than to have to make 2 different lights I'd imagine.

Of course the other option is that it does work, but the bulb is dead - might be worth switching the bulbs around and checking
        TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

The Wattage of the bulb might give a clue - if it is 21W, it would probably be as suggested above, if it is 5W it could be intended for a parking light or even an extra rear light for certain territories.

Regards

Comment

My Corsa D is left hand drive and the light shown is indeed the rear fog light on a left hand drive car. The equivalent light on the right( ,the fog light on a right hand drive car) ,does not light up, but has a bulb fitted.

I suspect the bulbs may come pre installed, and tested , by the light manufacturers, saving time and complications fiddling with bulbs in the car assembly plant. They can use the same part for both LHD and RHD cars, even though one bulb is redundant.

You'd think two rear fogs are better than one, why not just connect both.

But the wiring loom and switch may only be rated to take 21 watts, not 2 x 21 watts . Powering both bulbs might require heavier duty wire, and an expensive switching relay etc.
            Last edited by Bugman; 26-07-2018, 06:19 AM. Reason: Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes i just sits.

Comment

Many moons ago, the manufacturer's engineer used to visit vehicle fleets, checking on how things were going, but also after ideas for improving the product.
              He asked me one day if there was anything that they could do to make life easier for maintenance work. As I was just putting a dashboard back in, I suggested that they extend the wiring by a couple of inches to allow for easier access - His reply was anything but helpful, "Multiply the number of wires at the back of that dash by two inches, then multiply that by the number of vehicles that we make each year, and you are talking about extra MILES of wire, the cost would be prohibitive."
              I have never forgotten that reply, and often think about it when I come across things that could quite easily be made for simpler access.

Regards

Comment

Working...
              X