Radio Control Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Control Models

I remember we had a thread about this on the old forums but don't think there's one for here.How many members still have an interest in these?
    After not touching mines in almost 5 years i've dug one out to work on it.Axial SCX10 Honcho.
    I bought it in January 2012, ran it for 1 month. Stripped it to waterproof parts then never used it again.

It's a crawler so designed for going super slow over obstacles and stuff.So far it has a few mods.I done a lot of things back then and some more things recently.

Mods
    Acid stripped beadlocks to remove the anodizing
    Approx 185g added to front wheels
    Approx 110g added to rear wheels
    Star cut regular foams
    Removed rear bump stops
    DIY waterproof AE-2 ESC with power switch removed
    DIY waterproof receiver using same method as above
    13t Axial steel pinion gear
    Alloy steering knuckles
    Alloy steering rods
    Alloy servo horn​​​​​​​
    Axial driveshaft rings

Planned mods
    Tamiya 27t dirt tuned motor for more torque and wheel speed
    Deans connections on motor and speed control
    High torque servo for better steering.

Weighted front wheel (approx 300g with tyre and foam)/Weighted%20Wheels_zps25ueh5ra.jpg.html]"]PhotobucketWaterproof ESC board using liquid tape and die electric grease/Water%20Proof%20ESC_zpssm5x0uyj.jpg.html]http://s69.photobucket.com/user/hardcoretam/media/Axial%20SCX10%20Honcho/Waterproof%20ESC%20Board%203_zpsw1pudvm5.jpg.html]"]Photobucket[/url]Waterproof receiver/Water%20Proof%20Reciever%20Board_zpssge1ttpz.jpg.h tml]http://s69.photobucket.com/user/hardcoretam/media/Axial%20SCX10%20Honcho/Water%20Proof%20Reciever_zpsaxxxe9k9.jpg.html]"]Photobucket[/url]Beadlocks after acid dipping to remove anodizing and polished back up/Acid%20Dipping%20Beadlocks_zpsiy5eenum.jpg.html]http://s69.photobucket.com/user/hardcoretam/media/Axial%20SCX10%20Honcho/Clean%20WHeels_zpskvqs9zzl.jpg.html]"]Photobucket[/url]

Comment

Back in the day - flying an Ed Kasmirski designed 1962 Taurus at the Vintage Aerobatic Nationals at Rolls Royce Hucknall. I had a deadstick on my first flight but still got 3rd place overall - which was a bit of a result since the guy who was world champion used to enter 3 models and get first, second and third every year.

A beautiful vintage pattern ship - an American magazine ran an article on it as it was one of only a handful flying at the time. An old crossflow Super Tigre .60 up front - lovely old engine.

1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I always liked the sounds of the model planes flying around because there was always a lot of diversity from high revving high pitched engines to lower revving engines with a nice gurgle.

Comment

I bought this a few months ago, I've enjoyed it far more than I ever thought I would and I've been teaching my son how to fly it. I've had to replace a few bits but it's taken a beating quite well! I've since added lights, will see if I have a pic somewhere...
          It's a real entry level electric, but has a panic button for when I mess up, it's come in quite handy but hasn't always been able to save me from myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by jt999; 23-11-2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Found a pic with the lights, the front one flashes (it might be the rear actually, can't remember)

And a lovely pic of it in the sky, before I added the lights of course

Comment

What does the panic button do Jason?
              Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

The panic button is usually for when the pilot loses orientation of the model. At a distance you can't tell which way they are pointing so you think it's going left, try turning right (which in fact is where it is already going), it therefore goes in the opposite direction to what the pilot expected, flips over and then they have no idea what to input.

The panic button can either neutralise the control surfaces which on a model built to fly in a stable flight path will straighten it out giving the pilot time to re-orientate, or on models fitted with a gyro will put the model into straight and level flight. It is really just a case of giving the pilot a few seconds to watch the model rather than throwing in control inputs when they've lost orientation.

When I used to teach people to fly (before such electronic wizardry was available) I always made sure that learners had a model that 'hands off' would fly themselves. (As the high wing model above.) When it all went pear-shaped all they had to do was to let go of everything and watch what happened. Providing they weren't too close to the ground it nearly always did the trick. The fun bit was teaching full-size pilots to fly models inverted as they could never get the hang of the fact that the elevator was reversed, the rudder was reversed but the ailerons remained the same.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Comment

I took my son to a model airshow (which prompted me to buy my plane), crazy what they do, some poor guy with his jet plane was flying and it burst into flames mid air, not much left of it

Comment

Originally posted by jt999 View Post
                      I bought this a few months ago, I've enjoyed it far more than I ever thought I would and I've been teaching my son how to fly it. I've had to replace a few bits but it's taken a beating quite well! I've since added lights, will see if I have a pic somewhere...It's a real entry level electric, but has a panic button for when I mess up, it's come in quite handy but hasn't always been able to save me from myself!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      How much did that cost dude? I want one!
                      Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        How much did that cost dude? I want one!

Comment

Bought one yet?

Comment

We had a guy in the club we called Good King Wenceslas - all his landings ended up......

Deep and crisp and even.

Trick with landing is to control the speed with the elevator and the height with the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                            X