Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam emails

A warning.

Don't fall for an authentic looking advert, supposedly from Morrisons.
    It offered me extra points on my Morrisons More card if I completed the questionnaire.
    Within minutes, I was getting emails that I don't want, but can't stop.
    These are not just 'normal' sales things, but offer me Russian women, Asian women, older women and sex in all forms, the language of which I wouldn't repeat on this forum.
    Needless to say, I NEVER open any of these, but now have to go through the process of deleting them each day.
    As the address changes each time, there is no way that I know of to block them.
    So be warned, prevention is better than cure.

Regards

Unfortunately this is all too common and its easy to be fooled ,especially if it appears to come from a company or organisation you do actually have contact with. Just opening the email is not normally a problem,as long as you dont respond in any way by replying, clicking on a link,completing a questionanaire etc. If you do they know the email address is active and 'fair game'. At the very least a list of email addresses known to be active will fetch a premium price when sold on to dubious spam advertisers most of whom are selling disreputable goods and services. But the worst are phishing, trying to get you reveal enough personal details so they can move on to identity fraud and steal your cash.
    I hope the questionnaire you completed was fairly basic just to reveal your email is active. If you have revealed personal details such as date of birth, name address etc it could be used as part of a phishing attack.
    Let morrisons know about the email. But be very careful. The scammers are very crafty. They may send you another email apparently from Morrisons ( etc) saying they are aware of scams and you now need to update your details with them etc - thereby sending them the very information they need for a fraud.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      No, I didn't give much info - had they asked for it, I would have been suspicious.
      I did inform the genuine Morrisons, who seemed to be aware that this thing is going on.
      I could kick myself really, as I have two email addresses, and the 'real' Morrisons always use the other one.
      I'm hoping that when they realise that they aren't getting any replies, they will stop sending out their filth.

Regards

Comment

There is big money in selling lists of active e mail addresses and if a simple 'survey' can also tell them your gender, approximate age,some purchasing preferences etc the details are worth even more. A scumbag who obtains details by deception is likely to sell to scumbags. But its very widespread on the net by various marketting companies who regard themselves as legitimate. Google and various web sites and search engines closely monitor your browsing history,and even pick up on key words in emails and forums such as this one to target your possible interests and sell you to advertisers.They describe this as your profile, which sounds innocuous but is nothing less than a Dosier. Thats how many web sites are financed. After I read your original post certain keywords were picked up and it was assumed I too might be interested in similar services. I received a couple of of pop up adverts,much milder than you received,but on a similar vein.

Comment

The good news is that these emails tend to get fewer and fewer with the passage of time, but every now and again, a new name pops up, presumably due, as you say, to the details being sold on.
          I just hope that they all get fed up with not getting a replay, and in the end, go away.

Regards and thanks for the thoughts.

Comment

I've had the same style of scam email claiming I'd won something from several big companies. The biggest giveaway it's a scam is that is uses my first part of my email address as my actual name, which it isn't.
            Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

We've had several claiming to be from Apple with invoice information. Seems to be quite clever because the first one mentioned an app I'd just downloaded from the app store to my ipad - but used the email address for my Windows pc.
              1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

They've certainly progressed from the ones years ago purporting to be from the bank requiring your bank details.
                Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

Working...
                X