Windows 10 free offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 free offer

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has taken up this offer with regards to how they have got on with W10.
    I have heard one or two horror stories about it not supporting existing printers - has anyone experienced this.
    Generally, I steer clear of anything that 'seems too good to be true', as it normally is just that.

Regards

I upgraded w8.1 to w10 on a desktop, no major problems other than the cortana 'assistant' not hearing me on my existing usb based mike. Plugged a cheap 3.5 jack mike in and it worked.Its quite a clever bit of kit. However I also upgraded a 8.1 laptop to w10 and had some problems. The start button ,'cortana' and most microsoft based programmes will sometimes 'freeze and you have to restart. There are 'fixes on line but it has improved enough that I havnt bothered sorting it out.
    I think it may have been due to certain incompatable programmes I had installed at the time, with the older version of 'Avast' being a suspect. With the desk top I uninstalled avast before doing the upgrade then reinstalled the latest version afterwards. It takes quite a while to upgrade and you might have a few gremlins to sort out, but I think its worth doing. But I have kept a little netbook on windows 7 just in case! You can revert to original if you wish in the first month. But opinions vary so check around.

Comment

When Windows 10 was first launched I upgraded three computers and had real problems as a result. Two ran very slowly and one turned out that the chipset wasn't compatible and the screen died. It was a laptop so I ran it on a separate monitor for a while and the went back to Windows 7 on all three machines.

However I have recently tried again and Windows 10 works fine on all three, so I guess they sorted some problems out. I liked it from day one except that it didn't work! So I am pleased to have it working fine now.

I think there were some real issues with the first release, but it seems they've fixed them.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I've used it since it was in beta, and I find it very good and stable mostly. I did have a couple of issues but I'd have run into other issues on Windows 7/8 anyway. It seems silly to pass up on a free update, especially as you can roll back should it not be to your taste.
        TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

I've got a pretty ancient laptop (~7 years old) that runs on W7. I keep getting the popups for W10 but I'm not confident my laptop could handle it.

Didn't realise it was straightforward to roll back to W7, so I may give it a try.
          [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/classified-ads/parts-for-sale/1043-big-clear-out-exhaust-suspension-etc"][B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Big clear out of parts[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
          [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/732-sunny-melon-le-1-3-cdti"][B][COLOR="#0000cd"]Corsa D Yellow LE[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
          [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/225-atlantis-blue-5-door"][B][COLOR="#0000cd"]Corsa B Atlantis Blue[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
          [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/1301-1993-mazda-eunos-roadster"][B][COLOR="#006400"]Mazda Eunos V-Spec[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Comment

You get a month to revert - on one of mine I went beyond that and had to do a full system re-installation.

A neighbour has an ancient Sony laptop that was hopelessly slow, he went to W10 since he had nothing to lose and it goes light greased lightning now.

I reckon there were problems with it when it first came out depending on what kit you were running it on, but it seems they've sorted it out now. Even my Toshiba, which still says the chipset isn't compatible, runs it fine.

It is a much nicer layout than either W7 or W8.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I have a canon printer(3 years old?) on the laptop and epson (6 years?) on the desktop. IIRC I had to download the latest driver software for the canon .I think the older epson was ok, but maybe I had to for that as well.I forget. There were one or two other devices and programms that needed free updates to the latest versions but it was no big deal. I updated the laptop in January 2016 and the desk top about a month later. That went much smoother.
              I even get Cortana to remind me to put a log on the fire,or when its nearly dinner time!Or tell me jokes. Such are my complex diary commitments.

Roll back is to the previous operating system version still stored on your computer.( 7 or 8) But after 30 days microsoft start to update your W10 ,so your 'previous' version will also be W10. And one of the criticisms of W10 is microsoft updates are now automatic, not optional.

Some people still prefer W7 for its familiarity. The best of the old . W7 to 8.1 was a big change, more like an android smartphone/tablet ,with apps,tiles,multiscreens, etc but difficult to find things.Familiar stuff is there,but hidden away and you need to find the bonnet catch. And its not ideal on an ordinary desktop or laptop . W7 to W10 is much easier. Its more like a 'real ' computer .The learning curve is not so steep ,especially if you have used a smartphone/tablet.The improvements are impressive,and worth the few gremlins. If you already have W8/8.1 I think you will find w10 a big improvement and w7 to w10 is a definate step into the future of computing.

But 'If the product is free then you are the product.' The freebie expands their market. Microsoft are going the way of google. Just like android phones W10 out of the box will want to use your internet connection, learn all about you and sell you stuff. But you can limit what you allow it to do ,and they would still do it anyway even if you paid for the system.
              Last edited by Bugman; 10-04-2016, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies gents.
                I think that I will give it a try - but I still have this thing at the back of my mind that keeps telling me that 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'.

Regards

Comment

I've installed it today. Pretty happy with it. I thought it was going to be one of those horrible tiled setups but it's not, it's just a sleeker looking version of W7.
                  [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/classified-ads/parts-for-sale/1043-big-clear-out-exhaust-suspension-etc"][B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Big clear out of parts[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/732-sunny-melon-le-1-3-cdti"][B][COLOR="#0000cd"]Corsa D Yellow LE[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/225-atlantis-blue-5-door"][B][COLOR="#0000cd"]Corsa B Atlantis Blue[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/1301-1993-mazda-eunos-roadster"][B][COLOR="#006400"]Mazda Eunos V-Spec[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
                    Thanks for the quick replies gents.
                    I think that I will give it a try - but I still have this thing at the back of my mind that keeps telling me that 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'.

Regards
                    Except with this there is a free lunch.

Been running it since it was released to the public.
                    I've installed it on several fairly older machines too (at least 8 years old) and running better than it did with 7, no issues reported yet and its been on the users machine for well over 6 months.

I've notcied my laptop runs better with it than it did with 8.1

Best thing to do is do the upgrade first, then rebuild the same machine with a clean install
                    Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

I have downloaded it now. After clicking on the symbol, it told me that my display was not compatible with W10 due to a problem with GeForce7025/nForce630a, so I Googled that and found a fix for it - no problems after that.
                      I have noticed that the display seems to be 'too large' and it doesn't seem to like me adjusting it.
                      It couldn't find my printer to start with, but sorted itself out when I typed in the printer number.

Michael - I haven't a clue what you mean about 'rebuild the same machine with a clean install' (I'm better with motors, you know)

Thanks everybody - Regards

Comment

Hi Walksall. I dont know much about computers either but it sounds like windows still has a compatibility problem communicating with your graphics card.
                        I am assuming you have been trying to adjust screen resolution using the windows control panel. (This should work.) Have you tried adjusting it using Ge Force/nForces own graphics control panel? There is normally one installed somewhere but you may have to dig quite deep to find the programme. This may resolve the problem and be a satisfactory alternative method. Or there may be a specific patch programme fix.
                        If all else fails you may be able to replace the graphics card. Sometimes these are integrated into the mother board circuits but often it is a separate circuit board module that literally plugs in to the mother board. I realise this is not what you signed up for. The latest turbo cooled gaming ones are expensive but basic ones are quite cheap ,especially used.
                        Its a bit of a liberty but i'll also try and explain what michael said. When you download windows 10 from microsoft it integrates with all your existing programmes and files complete with any compatibility problems, latent viruses and a lot of unnecessary rubbish its picked up over time that may cause problems and slow it down. But your specific computer and windows 10 programme is now registered with microsoft as legitimate. By doing a clean install you install a fresh copy of windows ,as if the computer has just left the factory. But you need to take steps to preserve and re install stuff you do want to keep. Its what I should do on my lap top, but its quite scary for us novices.
                        If I have got any of this wrong I hope an expert will put us right.

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
                          Michael - I haven't a clue what you mean about 'rebuild the same machine with a clean install' (I'm better with motors, you know)
                          Basically, once you've upgraded, you want to wipe the PC completely and re install Windows 10 It's not a neccesity, but i found it helped with several builds I've done
                          Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Thanks once again.
                            I've got the graphics pretty well sorted now, but I find W10 painfully slow compared with 7, also it isn't as stable - I notice that I have lost a lot of free hard drive space, presumably this is due to it retaining the old W7.
                            I still not sure about this 'clean' install thing - If I do as suggested, and wipe the PC completely, where do I get W10 from to install it - I downloaded it, so don't have it on a disc.
                            I think you lot are brilliant, considering that this is a Corsa forum and not a PC one.

Regards

Comment

Put any programs and documents, photos etc onto an external hard drive.

Then follow steps 1-5 for 'For a system already running Windows 10':

How to do a clean install of Windows 10 - CNET

You don't need to have Windows 10 downloaded separately on a disc.

Comment

Working...
                              X