Freemasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freemasons

Is anyone on here one by any chance or has any experience / insight to the Masonic order?
    One of my friends is about to apply to join but not sure he's doing it for the right reasons.

I thought it was like the Mafia, whereby they invite you. I'd be interested to find out more.
    Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

He has relatives who have been members for a long time now and it's them who have been encouraging him to apply. I've never had an interest in it until now so watched a documentary i found on YouTube about it all. Pretty interesting tbh but not my kinda thing. I don't know anyone personally who's a member though but i'd like to find someone who's a member to ask some questions.

Comment

From what I read from a quick Google, it's a religious based group. Apparently if you're an atheist, you've got no chance of membership, which counts me out.
        Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

That's what i read as well. You need to believe in a Supreme being but it can be any one at all and not all the members believe in the same God/s
          My friend said you're not allowed to discuss politics there as well really which was a surprise for me.

Comment

Hmm - religious? Not really. They have this thing about the 'Supreme Being' or the 'Architect' hence the masonic symbols, but religious they are not. Most of the guys I know who are Masons are so totally not religious.

Mainly they're a social group for like minded (ie relatively wealthy) guys who want to look after each other and do a bit of social good. They do a lot of good work - which is a plus. The down side is they look after one another and are secretive, so you never know which deals are influenced by who knows who. Locked in privilege makes me twitchy.

It's hard to see how they keep going seeing as they are basically stuck in a kind of 'Life on Mars' culture.

I get on better with the Grand Order of Antediluvian Buffaloes - or the Buffs as they are generally called. They do just as much good works but don't take themselves so seriously.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I'll Google that one Taurus. The religion comment was based on what I read from this site Joining Freemasonry
              It's in a box a fair bit down the page.

Comment

Last edited by Rob; 21-01-2016, 11:13 PM. Reason: chicken soup
                Rub-A-Dub-Dub

Comment

I have to agree with Taurus about the 'religious' thing - I went to a Masonic funeral a while back, even the Christian cross had been removed from the crematorium, there were no hymns (or any singing, for that matter) There was a eulogy by someone who said that she was a 'Humanist'. If I am correct, I think that Humanists claim that mankind is the answer to the worlds problems!
                  I have met a few Free Masons over the years - they seem to be divided into two camps, one lot bragging about their membership, the other (the majority) not even mentioning that they are members, but they all have the secretive thing about them, and 'clam up' if you ask too many questions - If the tales are true, this is no wonder, as they would tell their secrets under threat of having their tongue cut out!
                  I have always understood that people have to be invited to join, meaning that you can't apply to join.

Regards

Comment

I suspect that was the funeral of a mason conducted by a humanist. So it was a humanist funeral rather than a masonic one. The masons decreed the members funerals should not be conducted with masonic ceremonial due to some tensions within families when the masonic capers didn't go with what the family wanted. Most masons ask for a passage from Leviticus to be read as a nod to their membership. These days they don't make much of it at a funeral so you can't tell a mason's funeral from anyone else's.
                    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

You may well be right.
                      The funeral was that of a retired collogue which a couple of us attended.
                      There were a lot of Masons there, one even asked us which 'lodge' we belonged to!

Comment

Working...
                      X