Boiler issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler issues

So there was a power cut a few nights a go and since then my boiler doesn't work on the timer.

So I went up to the attic yesterday, the boiler has a Siemens rdf remote controller and a box in the attic it controls too. These seem to be linked up, the thing on the wall has the green light on and when I change a setting on the controller it flashes to say it's receiving the signal.

But the boiler still doesn't come on, the hot water works fine and when I pressed the override button (it's a Worcester boiler with two buttons on the front, an override or a press both together for learn) the boiler came on and worked for a few hours last night and heated the house.

It has since gone off but still won't be controlled by the controller however the hot water is still working.
    Originally posted by Dave
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Silly question but if you have a thermostat somewhere have you got it set to a high enough temperature? Mines got a battery backup in case of power failure but I think without the battery it resets to 17 degrees or something so the heating wouldn't kick in until it got that cold at the thermostat
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Sometimes the relays in the receiver can stick, so even if the green light is on, it won't have made a switch.
      Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

So what's the fix for that?
        [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

If the relays sticking turning it on and off a few times might free it. Probably easier if there's an override button on the receiver?

Comment

Take your thermostat to where to receiver is and turn it up, wait for the green light and see if you can hear an audible click. No click normally means a stuck relay. As Danny said, cutting power to the boiler can sometimes help, otherwise it will be a case of replacing the receiver. It's a common fault we get at work.

- - - Updated - - -

By cutting power I mean switching off via the fused spur, not the on off switch on the boiler.
            Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

Well before reading this advice I turned the boiler off, left it for 10 minutes and then put it back on.

Still didn't seem to work so I pressed the over ride button and went to the pub. Nice warm house when I came back and the heating had gone back off, this morning it came back on at the correct time as well.

So it's either fixed itself or its going to wait until it's -10 and every gas engineer is busy before it breaks again...probably on Christmas Day.

Thanks for the advice though

Comment

It should be fine.

Comment

As the problems started after your power went off, it is possible that the 'back-up' battery in your programmer has seen better days.
                  I get the impression that they would rather sell you a new programmer, as (in my case at any rate) the battery is soldered into the PCB.
                  I have changed mine twice now - they each seen to last about five or six years.
                  Batteries are cheap enough and available on-line from 'small battery' people.

Happy new year

Comment

Working...
                  X