Religious callers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious callers

I'm having a bit of a problem where I seem to be getting a lot of religious callers to the door. Unfortunately for me I'm polite and don't want to offend anyone by telling them to leave me alone so they always return.

Is there any way without being rude I can get them to stop? I respect people and their religions but I don't need to be converted or preached at every few days. They're always very polite etc and I don't really agree with the aggro people give them as they aren't doing any harm.

I assume they are mostly Jahovah Witnesses so perhaps I can tell them they're great and I'm converted so they can be on their way?
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

There are two methods I use, the first is I say firmly but politely, "No thanks, I am not going to have this conversation with you." If they know it's a none-starter they will usually leave you alone.

If I know they are JWs I open the conversation in New Testament Greek. They aren't permitted to read the original text so they usually get the message that I know what I'm talking about and clear off.

Your other option is a notice on your front door, but I always think those make look like a bit of a pratt.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I always say that I appreciate their beliefs, but I don't want to be part of a religion. It's nice to be polite but you need to be firm: it's your property, your belief system and your time. I'm sure they get told to f-off a lot, so anything you say can't be that bad

Comment

I prefer the "if God created everything and we wouldn't exist without him, who creates God" route.
        Originally posted by Dave
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

"No thank you" normally works.
          Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

I find it best to keep a goat behind the front door should an impromptu sacrifice to Satan be required to prove a point.

Comment

They came again today, I just didn't answer.

Comment

They will probably schedule a return visit into their tablets! They have used tablets for guidance since Moses came down from mount Sinai. Seriously though ,I believe they do keep 'dont call' lists. I suspect their biggest fear is someone with strongly held alternative beliefs who might corrupt their own missionaries. Hows your acting? Hand them a print out from a genuine pagan or devil worship site and try to 'convert' them in return. That might do the trick. I dont think just being rude or evasive would be enough to get on this list.They would just see rudeness as proof you need saving, and may believe the more difficult their crusade the higher the rewards.

Comment

1: invite them inside, I'm 99% sure they have never got that far and will be too frightened of the unknown to step inside

2: answer the door naked then invite them inside

3: answer the door drunk then invite them inside and try to get them drunk

4: scream Allah akbar at them

Comment

I usually answer the door in my turban ...

Comment

step one, shout wildly before you open the door,
                      step two, open door three times
                      step three, start a twitch in your face and talking to your self under your breath
                      step four, wave as they run away
                      problem solved

Comment

J.Ws'. are very persistent, being special breed, they have a skin like a rhino sore arse.
                        I am a Baptist, and have quite a conversation with them at times, making a (futile) attempt to convert them.
                        My latest efforts involved Christmas, as I know that they don't hold with any form of Christmas celebrations.
                        They do invite me to attend whatever it is that they do at Easter though, which I find a bit strange.
                        I always tell them that I'll stick with what I know.
                        I don't think that any other denomination goes round as they do. We do leaflet drops for special events, but only post 'em through the letter box.

Happy new year.

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
                          J.Ws'. are very persistent, being special breed, they have a skin like a rhino sore arse.
                          I am a Baptist, and have quite a conversation with them at times, making a (futile) attempt to convert them.
                          My latest efforts involved Christmas, as I know that they don't hold with any form of Christmas celebrations.
                          They do invite me to attend whatever it is that they do at Easter though, which I find a bit strange.
                          I always tell them that I'll stick with what I know.
                          I don't think that any other denomination goes round as they do. We do leaflet drops for special events, but only post 'em through the letter box.

Happy new year.
                          I'm with you on this one. JW's, which are a cult, although they would never admit to it, HAVE to do the door knocking thing for a certain amount of hours every month. They are always polite, but as a friend of mine discovered when he left them to discover what the mainstream Christian church teaches, they were less than polite, they will even make threats. I belong to a local church, but I didn't start going because people knocked at my door. I became a Christian because I met genuine people who had a genuine love and concern for others, including me. People that have since become great friends, people that I would trust with my life. No one shoved it in my face, no one bible bashed me, they gave me time to ask questions, discuss things without being judgemental or critical. Sadly nearly all Christians seem to be tarred with the same brush. Perhaps even more sadly, people often do the tarring before they've done the investigating for themselves. It's pointless to knock religion (or anything for that matter) until you've tried it, I know, I've been there!

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post

Happy new year.
                            I get a lot of Mormons around my area during the summer. They're usually Canadian though which is a bit strange but always super nice to speak to. Even offered to help me fix my Corsa once but i didn't want them to get oil on their clean clothes.

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                            I'm with you on this one. JW's, which are a cult.
                            Don't all religions start out as a Cult though? I always thought the only difference between a Cult and a Religion is the number of people.

Comment

I think Mormons usually will help you with projects etc for your time.

I haven't had any turn up in a while, hopefully will stay that way

Comment

Working...
                              X