Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy meter installation

Hi all,

I recently bought an energy meter and am having a bit of trouble connecting it as the wires don't leave me a lot of room to plug it in. I have single phase power and know the sensor needs to go on the 4th wire (it seems to be called phase/load based on my findings), my concern is that I'll kill myself prying the wire a bit to get the sensor around the wire. If I turn off the mains power at the fuse board will it cut power to that wire? I'd rather be safe than dead...

JT
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Energy meter installation

Is it one of the clamp on things?
    The cable you're talking about wont be dead if you turn of the board, no.
    If they're old rubber meter tails (black insulation) then I wouldn't go pulling them as the insulation can perish. (If they are then they need replacing anyway!)
    If they're grey then you'll be fine pulling them. Just obviously be careful, nothing should be loose enough to come out though.

Comment

Yeah clamp on, the wire is red. I'll take a photo in a minute as it'll be clearer then hopefully

Comment

Comment

Energy meter installation

They look pretty new, won't be a problem disturbing them. How bigs the clamp? You could take the cover off that trunking and clamp it in there.
          Either red cable will be fine by the way, doesn't have to be that side of the meter.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            They look pretty new, won't be a problem disturbing them. How bigs the clamp? You could take the cover off that trunking and clamp it in there.
            Either red cable will be fine by the way, doesn't have to be that side of the meter.
            There is a little more slack behind the trunking (already checked) but as the wires are very thick and close together I didn't want to pry them too much (especially if it can kill me)

So the sensor would work with the other red cable? I think there was easier access to that one behind the trunking

Comment

Yeah it'll work before the meter.
              Like I said, if they're not old rubber cables, prying them a bit won't do any harm.

Comment

There is a bit of a nick in the red wire that concerns me, I really really don't want to die

And the other red wire turns to black and goes to a pipe?

Comment

The one in the pipe is the supply to the meter. Doesn't matter which one you use, the same current is flowing through both. All the clamp does is measure the electromagnetic field the current produces.

Comment

OK thanks, if you don't hear from me again I've died and it's your fault

Comment

Sound. I await the lawsuit.

Comment

OK it's around that other wire (I broke the bloody clip so had to use electrical tape to hold the clip closed). It seems fairly inaccurate - is that expected?

For example I have a Belkin Wemo measuring my fan at 32W, yet the meter only records about 12W when I power it on/off. I think my kettle is 2KW too and it only picks up about 1.5KW on the meter

Comment

I'm not sure how accurate they should be to be honest, I thought they'd be pretty accurate though. Installed a few but never really used one.

It may be getting interference from the neutral (black) if it's too close to that, could be effecting the magnetic field and therefore the reading?

Comment

Ahh, will try to separate them a bit more

Comment

Working...
                            X