Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Alarms

Hi all,

I've recently moved into a flat but it has no smoke alarms. I'm looking to fit them but there are many types and to be honest it's confusing. Do any of you have knowledge of such devices? I'm looking to have 1 per room ideally but don't want to spend too much money as hopefully I'll never need them.
    1 kitchen, 1 bathroom, 1 hallway, 1 lounge and 2 bedrooms.

JT
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

I think with new building regs if you're installing fire alarms you have to have a fully wired in system. Might be worth looking into that to make sure anything you fit conforms. Unsure of the legalities.
    [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/classified-ads/parts-for-sale/1043-big-clear-out-exhaust-suspension-etc"][B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Big clear out of parts[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/732-sunny-melon-le-1-3-cdti"][B][COLOR="#0000cd"]Corsa D Yellow LE[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/225-atlantis-blue-5-door"][B][COLOR="#0000cd"]Corsa B Atlantis Blue[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/forum/general-discussion/car-chat/projects-builds/1301-1993-mazda-eunos-roadster"][B][COLOR="#006400"]Mazda Eunos V-Spec[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Comment

Don't fire brigade do them for free?
      Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

Smoke Alarms

In new installations they should be hard wired and interlinked ( so one alarm triggers them all), but they don't have to be if they're just being added.
        Regs say you need at least one in the hall, or any room with another coming off it. I.e. Every room should have a smoke at least in the next room. Every room is overkill tbh.
        We tend to (where price/customer allows) install one in hall, living room and landing; heat in kitchen & garage and hard wired monoxide alarms where needed (any gas/solid fuel burner).
        Ionisation smoke alarms tend to have less false alarms than optical.
        Last edited by Danny; 16-06-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

As Lee said, most fire brigades give them out free. Decent enough ones. Can't change the battery in them though so you have to bin them after a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by nibnob21 View Post
            I think with new building regs if you're installing fire alarms you have to have a fully wired in system. Might be worth looking into that to make sure anything you fit conforms. Unsure of the legalities.
            It's an old building, and I'm sure having a battery smoke alarm instead of no smoke alarm isn't an issue

Originally posted by Lee View Post
            Don't fire brigade do them for free?
            They do, but I can't be doing with waiting for them to come around etc

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            In new installations they should be hard wired and interlinked ( so one alarm triggers them all), but they don't have to be if they're just being added.
            Regs say you need at least one in the hall, or any room with another coming off it. I.e. Every room should have a smoke at least in the next room. Every room is overkill tbh.
            We tend to (where price/customer allows) install one in hall, living room and landing; heat in kitchen & garage and hard wired monoxide alarms where needed (any gas/solid fuel burner).
            Ionisation smoke alarms tend to have less false alarms than optical.
            Thanks, that's good information.

Totally understand that every room is overkill, but I have had a house fire before (you might remember if you were on AC early enough, 2007) so I'm quite cautious. I'd rather too many and have some false alarms than not enough and find out about a real issue too late.

I've just been and bought 2 ionisation ones, have another I'm picking up tomorrow. I'll get a heat one for the kitchen (already got monoxide).

Is it normal to have one in a bathroom? I imagine that'd just get ruined by steam.
            TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Comment

If it's a rented flat then the landlord ought to have a fire alarm system installed. We put a hardwired one in to meet the regs.

We have a hardwired one at home which was in the house when we moved here - it's a pain in the neck. Personally I prefer the battery ones and just have a date in the year when you replace all the batteries.

I wouldn't put one in the kitchen, it'll go of when you cook. Make sure the hall one won't be triggered by cooking fumes from the kitchen as well. One of ours is just outside the kitchen door and it is always triggering the whole system. The fire brigade said it's a stupid place to put one.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

A heat alarm won't be triggered by cooking.

Comment

Working...
                  X