Radar Detectors/Dashcam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar Detectors/Dashcam

I know that have been a couple of threads in the past about dashcams, but I'm looking to get something that will ideally do both. Some pretty annoying people on the road and it should lower my insurance a bit as well.

I've found a Snooper DVR-3HD but It's on ebay so likely to be a tad crap.
    Snooper DVR-3HD Witness Dash Cam Camera and Police GPS Speed Trap Detector | eBay

Not sure on the legality of radar detectors/speed camera, but to be honest I'm not bothered. I've seen lots of people with them, I just have no idea where to buy them and what ones are good. Moan away.

I've heard about these rear view mirrors that do everything, camera, radar detector, gps etc but I think they are pretty pricey. Anyone had any experience with any of these?

Any help much appreciated as always.
    [CENTER]Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
    Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque: how far you take the wall with you.[/CENTER]

Radar detector are fine it is radar jammer that are illega
    Originally posted by Dave
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

Dave's detector is annoying as fucj. Never shuts up

Comment

Its not a radar detector as such. It just has a gps database of known locations.Same as most satnavs already have.The cobblers about detecting gatso,truvelo etc is just bovine poo. Its whatever is at the location,even if its two rozzers with a stop watch like in the old days(.Oh how I miss the old joke 'whats a mile long with an arse at each end -a speed trap) Its not illegal in the uk but it is in France. Police there have been known to confiscate them,even if its switched off. It can be illegal in the uk if the camera screen remains visible to the driver,or it obstructs the windscreen too much.Only likely to be a problem at mot time-just remove it.
        It looks quite like the blaupunkt BP7.0 that doesnt cost much more,but doesnt have gps speed camera ability.The BP 7.0 boasts of its quality A5 amberella chipset and other components and has hdmi .The snooper is vague about its components.They normally brag if they can. .It may be worth doing more research to ensure its not a clone using cheaper parts. The 15 second before and after save on its g sensor seems a bit short.
        Its also quite large and shiny and looks like a camera. There may be times when you dont wish it to be too obvious you have evidence that might incriminate you.!
        Incidentally dash cams are illegal inAustria -10 thousand euro fine!

I'm about to buy a mobius.I'm just waiting for the one with the latest lens to be available from uk suppliers.
        Its tiny, not much bigger than a car key or box of matches. You can also get every part as a spare,batteries,case, new lenses,circuit boards etc. With most dash cams if any one part fails they have to be binned.You can also use it as a sports action cam etc.
        The mobius doesnt have a screen or gps and you need to buy screen mounts,usb leads etc seperately.If you wish to view footage at the scene for that 'see officer it woz im wot dunnit' moment you can connect to a mobile phone.

The older version Its currently under 50 quid delivered from a uk warehouse on this link,but it changes daily.
        UK Direct | Mobius Action Camera 1080P HD Mini Sports Camera Wide Angle EditionLC_META_FREE_SHIPPING

I cant buy it until I am back in the uk next week so cant really give an opinion on the camera

If anyone has bad experiences of it please let me know.
        Last edited by Bugman; 12-02-2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
          Dave's detector is annoying as fucj. Never shuts up
          My Sat naggie 'Aggie' is the same,because I dont have free updates. 50mph limits for long term motorway repairs that ended years ago are the worst.Bonging away for miles sometimes.

I am now getting flooded with ads for bulgarian Sat navs. Clever and somehow disturbing at the same time. The old joke 'on the internet no one knows you are a dog' no longer applies. they know your breed,gender,colour, favourite food, basket and blanket preferences , where you like to go walkies and last time you were wormed. Woof Woof.
          Lord wont you buy me a mercedes benz. Lets see if they pick up on that.
          Last edited by Bugman; 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Mine is actually a radar detector though. It's just a bit over sensitive.
            |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

Comment

Thats the police approved one. Its always indicating so you always drive slow. Seriously though Radar detectors only pick up some types of speed cameras that work on radar -mainly gatso. Its ironic these were invented by a rally driver -Maurice Gatsonides, who once won the monte carlo rally.Traitor. They dont pick up Truvelo or the average speed thingies on the motorways etc that work on number plate reading or road sensors.

Comment

Works for detecting automatic doors in supermarkets too.

Comment

I had a pair of shoes that often set off shop security alarms.A nice lady in superdrug once let me strip off my clothes progressively until we identified the source.
                  If it helps anyone the following link lists the various types of speed cameras, how they work,and how they can be detected ,or not.

Britain's Speed Camera Types Explained from Fixed to Mobile

Comment

Yeah was reading through that website shortly after creating the thread.

Thinking on going on a road trip at some point and in unfamiliar places I always get wary of speed cameras. I don't speed, excessively but have almost been caught out several times when there are ones that are hidden right where there is a speed change e.g. 70 to 50mph. (If anyone uses the M2/A2 going into London you'll get what I mean)

Cheers for the help though, will keep looking researching!

Comment

Originally posted by tomush View Post
                      Yeah was reading through that website shortly after creating the thread.

Thinking on going on a road trip at some point and in unfamiliar places I always get wary of speed cameras. I don't speed, excessively but have almost been caught out several times when there are ones that are hidden right where there is a speed change e.g. 70 to 50mph. (If anyone uses the M2/A2 going into London you'll get what I mean)

Cheers for the help though, will keep looking researching!
                      Yes, but luckily enough to remeber when to definitely positively do 50mph and when to not worry, lol.

Comment

I'm sure they are every 100ft!

I have to drive to the o2 daily and keeping an eye on the speedo making sure I'm definitely 100% doing 50mph and possibly suddenly braking often on a 3 lane road is more dangerous than a 70mph restriction.

Just saying...

Comment

It definitely is. I agree. Cruise control would help i guess but still. Its stupid that its come to this.

Comment

Working...
                          X