Laptop - high pitched whistling sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop - high pitched whistling sound

Toshiba laptop - about 2 years old - it seems to be making a very high pitched whistling sound.

I didn't notice at first as I have pretty bad tinnitus - down to ear surgery when I was a sprog I reckon - but it's definitely more noticeable as a different pitch of whistle than the usual noise I get 24/7.

It's not speaker feedback because it does it with the speakers muted and the microphone isn't active. It's not the battery as it does it with the battery removed.

Seems to kick in once it's been on for about 10 minutes, then does it all day. Sometimes varies in intensity. I have a suspicion the laptop is doing something fairly low key which is then triggering my own tinnitus so what I'm getting is amplified - the laptop may only be making a tiny noise which makes mine worse. But it didn't do until about a week or so ago.

Any ideas?
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

cooling fan? They can get clogged with dust

Comment

When my PC does certain things it makes a low volume squealing noise every now and then.

It turns out it's the capacitors on my graphics card. When under certain types of load, they vibrate and make a weird noise.
      Forums suggested coating the graphics card in nail varnish to stop the vibrations but i left it as it is.

Comment

Sorry - should have said, I know it's not the fan, that's running normally. It's like the kind of squeal you get from feedback but much higher pitch. My usual tinnitus noise is similar but slightly lower pitch, and I only get this higher pitch when the laptop is on.

It's driving me mad.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Capacitors / coils vibrating
          Does it sound like this?

1:40 seconds in

Comment

Oh well.Would have been a miracle if a green mouse novice got it right. But theres a thought.Might yours squeak instead? Nah, sorry to be flippant,good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcore View Post
              Capacitors / coils vibrating
              Does it sound like this?

1:40 seconds in

No - it is a much higher pitch and consistent. If you listen to a demonstration of tinnitus sound it's very similar - just a slightly different pitch to what I usually get.

Comment

Does it do it when it's on your knee and only when I'm a certain position?
                Originally posted by Dave
                Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Does it do it when it's on your knee and only when I'm a certain position?
                  No - it's nearly always sat on my desk. The battery life on it has been useless from when it was new so I don't bother taking it anywhere with me. I have a tablet for carrying about.

Comment

Another off the wall idea from the green mouse.Power lead voltage transformer?You may have already eliminated this but in the absence of more expert advice its worth a thought. The fan is running normally,but have you checked its clean, especially if you have furry pets? If all else fails maybe opening it up,a thorough cleaning and checking components are properly seated might work. Bit of a chore and you would need to beware of static electricity. Hopefully others will have better ideas

Comment

I've tried it with the transformer unplugged, also with the transformer plugged in and the battery out - both of which are good ideas but neither of which seems to be the cause.

We have a fluffy bunny - but he's never allowed near my desk due to his habit of biting through wires.

I've given it a blast with an air duster all the same. (The laptop, not the bunny.)

Comment

Blast the bunny, just to be sure

Comment

Originally posted by CorsaEdi View Post
                          Blast the bunny, just to be sure
                          Poor bunny

Comment

Your own thread
                            TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

hare to the thrown

Comment

Working...
                              X