Building a website.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a website.

Following on from my hosting thread, I now have hosting in place, so my next step is to design and build a decent landing page and integrate some kind of cart software.

My question is, to those who have built sites before, what is your preferred site building software and what other things is there to consider? I used to use an old version of Dreamweaver but times have changed since I last built a website. I do have a free one installed but I'm at work and can't remember the name of it.
    Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

If building a landing page then pure html/ccs for speed. Muse can be used but the code is bulky and slow.

Or you could use a shopping cart like magento
    Originally posted by Dave
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

I'm thinking of magento for the cart Tim, just want some form of landing page to start with.
      Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

What style landing page, post some examples and I'll see if I've got anything similar
        [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

I'm thinking of magento for the cart Tim, just want some form of landing page to start with.

Comment

Yea but what style landing page? Like how do you want it to look?

Comment

Modern, clean, catchy, all the usual things. I have a rough idea in my head, and I reckon I can do it, just pretty unsure on software at the minute.

Comment

Software for graphic design? Or software for coding pages?

My every day use arsenal of programs is:
                -Photoshop CS4
                -NotePad++
                -SmartFTP
                -ExpressionWeb
                -Firefox (w/Developer Addons)
                |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

Comment

I've got aptana studio, filezilla ftp, and Photoshop at the minute. I managed to install magento cart last night but the DNS is taking ages to propagate which is frustrating.

Comment

I take that back. It's done, just need to clear the cache in my browsers.

Comment

Cool, I've worked on a couple of Magento installations for clients briefly, seems well rounded software to be honest. If you need anything, let us know.

Comment

Cheers fellas. As always I'll be seeking your opinions as I go on.

Comment

The programs Dave put up are great if you know code, notepad++ and gimp are about all I use to make landing pages now however if your don't know code they can be difficult to use.

Muse is quite good for making a basic site however like I said before it does depend what kind of page you want to start with, if you can post an example the liklehood is ill either have that style page saved or be able to point you in the direction of it. Unless you just want to use magento as the main page which, depending on what you're sellong, may not be a bad think.

Comment

I've not tinkered with magento yet but I'll probably just use that providing it can be customised.

Comment

One of its biggest assts is the customisations and themes/packs available for it. I'm sure you'll find somethign to suit or be able to modify something that laready exists. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X