Cheap reliable hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap reliable hosting?

Got a little business venture up my sleeve that requires some cheap reliable hosting. Will possibly be hoping to run some sort of cart software and processing payments so would probably want some sort of security too.
    It's been a while since I've used any sort of hosting so was hoping one of you may have some good info. Cheers.
    Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

DigitalOcean offer a VPS for $10 a month. You'd have to build and secure most of it yourself (and SSL certificates for payments) but it's pretty good for the money and a good learning experience.

This site is hosted with them.

DigitalOcean – The developer cloud

That's a referral link but you can just go to DigitalOcean – The developer cloud if you'd prefer.

Comment

Think that might be a bit too complex for a novice like myself at the minute Jason.
      Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

I currently use Web hosting packages from webhostingbuzz. But they're not for hosting pages really. I use it as online storage because it's cheaper than actual online storage and arguably faster as it's all ssd based.
        |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

Comment

Would just like to retract my earlier statement, for the first time in about 6 years they've pissed me off.

They just took the server down, at 10pm on a weekday, without any sort of prior notification. I call support and they say its for the GHOST patch that hit linux recently. thats fair enough, I myself patched around 80 servers in the last 2 days, but reboots are scheduled and notified. You dont just turn a shared server off on a weekday and at 10pm. do it at 3pm, or wait til a weekend and schedule it in.

Badgers... I'm more annoyed that they didnt tell me before hand rather than they rebooted it.

Grrr.....

Comment

10pm seems like a reasonable time to me... 3pm would be much worse in our shared environments as sites are mostly for small businesses (that don't generally work out of hours).

Lee - have you considered something like an eBay store? Might be a nice easy one...

Comment

Thats a typo, was meant to say 3am. On weekdays anytime before midnight is legitimate "in use" time imo.

It's more the fact they didnt say anything and just took it down for 35minutes

Comment

For UK sites ive hit a vps with 123-reg which is good, quick turn around from any tickets I submit and never had any down time. For a business site I wouldn't go on anything less than a VPS hosted in the country your customers are based.
                Originally posted by Dave
                Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

Magento for your cart software
                  [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

Is this based on your own experience Tim? Do you have any examples?

Comment

What in the hosting or the cart software?

The hosting I use a lot and can vouch for it, magento ive used in the past and found it simple enough for a beginner, big community and a lot of add ins available.

Comment

Here are some examples - Magento Showcase - Showcasing the very best Magento Webites

Depending on what you are wanting to do I could probably offer some advice, feel free to pm to keep it private.

Or at least tell you where to avoid.

Comment

There are plenty people on here who are able to offer advice on vps setup etc Lee so I wouldn't let that be a negative point when weighing up what to buy.

Comment

That's a good point Dave but I think somewhere that offers cpanel would probably be best for Lee.

Comment

True, if its just one site. ut if its multiple, you have to way up the cost against the pros and cons, a reseller webhosting package (or one wiht additional domains, but where youre constantly at the mercy of hoping everyone else doesnt abuse the server you're on.. Or a cpanel vps license and a vps, and do it yourself on much more sturdy hardware and entire root access and full whm access etc.. I know which I'd choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X