Setting up a Ubuntu Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a Ubuntu Server

So normally I use cPanel but thought I'd try a cloud server in the US with just uBuntu.

I've installed a whole range of things I dont need but I'm struggling to get my site up.

Normally I upload a folder to "public_html" (or whatever it is called) and then I can connect with mysite.com/foldername/index.html.

But there is no public_html on my ubuntu server so I dont know where to stick my folder?
    Originally posted by Dave
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Are yu running a desktop or is this just a core installation (command line)?

What have you installed so far? Is apache running? What is the Dcument Root defined as in httpd.conf?

I dont use Ubuntu, but CentOS web server administration is one of my things
    |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

Comment

Apache is installed.

Nginx is installed. If I go to the homepage Nginx is displayed.

How do I define a document root?
      [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

I've never used Nginx, but its an alternative to apache, you use one or the other as far as I am aware. Stop the niginx services/untinstall nginx with whatever package manager you're using. If you are running apache then your document root will be defined in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (or possibly /etc/httpd/conf.d/httpd.conf)

You can confirm what its set to to by issuing something like: cat /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf |grep DocumentRoot

You may also try putting an index.html file in /var/www/html (thats often used as a default directory for the webservers root)

- - - Updated - - -

Start by disabling/uninstalling niginx IMO, get the server to start dispalying the apache welcome page when browsed to. Once you get to that bit, its plain sailing.

Comment

Ok thanks, I'll try that today, any problems ill post back up.

What was confusing me is I'd already put files in var/www/html and it was still wasn't workong.

Also is there any point in me installing anything else, if all I'm displaying is simple html pages with javascript and jquery?

Comment

Generally I just install the basic LAMP stack. So apache with php, MySQL, and some form of mail transfer agent, usually Exim. For ease of file transfers I usually install vsftpd. But if it's a one user system then you can just ssh to it and don't worry about ftp and jailing users to certain directories etc.

Let me know how it goes.

Comment

If you get to a point where you need more help, let me know the SSH details and i can jump on and sort it for you.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'll be back onto doing it tonight and it seems simple enough...famous last words

Comment

Lol, no worries, let me know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks for the help Dave, I've now got it all up and running. My new cloud based server seems to be performing a lot better as well, just run a quick test on GTmatrix;
                    • Page load speed on my old VPS - 1.05s
                    • Page load on my new server - 0.45s

Comment

Nice one. Good work getting it uo and running

Comment

Was quite easy in the end, I rebuilt it and just went the LAMP as you said. I've got a new respect for linux though (always liked it but never used it full time), how simple is it to just write "get" and let it install everything.

Comment

Ubuntu is a bit different to what I'm used to. But yeh it's nice. Use it every day for easily 8 - 10 hours. Mostly custom enterprise environments. But a lot of it is Web hosting based so all the same underneath.

It's all good until your package manager (is it apt-get you were using?) can't find or doesn't know one of the packages you need. Or for some reason can't resolve the package dependencies. But yeh it's cool. I like linux a lot

Comment

Yea using apt-get.

Also if anyone wants a free $10 credit to try digital ocean cloud based hosting, here's a link DigitalOcean – The developer cloud

So far I'm very impressed, $10 a month for; 1GBMemory, 1 CoreProcessor, 30GBSSD Disk & 2TBTransfer

Comment

Setting up a Ubuntu Server

This site is hosted by them, not Ubuntu though

Comment

Working...
                              X