Home Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Automation

I came across something called IFTTT a few days ago which is apparently quite widely used. It got me more interested in automating some stuff at home and as I wanted an energy reader socket I decided to take the plunge and buy a Belkin WeMo insight earlier, followed by a Philips Hue hub (just need to buy the bulbs, the 'starter' kits didn't really suit my needs).

Does anyone else have any experience/interest with this sort of thing? I'd love to hear your thoughts/recommendations.

Interest, yes.

Experience? Stops at infra red remote controlled light switches I'm afraid. I got really interested in it all back when X10 was a new thing. But back then I wasn't in a position to get involved really.
    |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

Comment

I originally looked down that route but things have come so far it made sense to go down this route. Right now I've just got a very expensive plug socket, and soon a fairly expensive light controller with no lights

I can see this is going to hurt the bank balance

Comment

Always wanted to get the Phillips bulbs but I guess it's the novelty that makes me want them, doubt I'd ever constantly sit there and change the colour for the fun of it.
        [CENTER]Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
        Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
        Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
        Torque: how far you take the wall with you.[/CENTER]

Comment

I'm not a fan of the colour change bulbs.
          I fitted a load for someone, and the White never looked white. Just seemed to be RGB all on together, but not blended properly. Not pleasant on the eye at all. This was a year or so ago, and I think they were fairly cheap ones though.

Best automation I've seen was in a massive new build where all the footballers like in Formby: had a touch screen in each room controlling ventilation/heating, cctv and lighting.

Comment

Eventually I'm hoping Apple Homekit will link them all, IFTTT does a good job but I'd like it neater

Comment

I'm staying away from this thread before I wack the credit card out
              Originally posted by Dave
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

Home Automation

Haha I've shown some self restraint - want to test some before I sink in too much

I strongly recommend looking at IFTTT as it's free and gives you some ideas

Comment

We have a system in our house called the Dad/Husband. Basically if anyone wants anything doing they activate said device and it all gets done as if my magic. Apparently said device runs on beer. User feedback is generally positive, apart from occasional malodorous emissions from time to time.
                  1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Well my WeMo socket seems quite good, although I've got it plugged into something that's on 24/7 whilst I work out how to rig it up, seems quite good

Comment

Comment

Was watching a video earlier where people were talking about the Hue. They seemed to really like it but I don't think I'd ever be able to justify the cost. Although I think they were talking about the single bulbs rather than the strips.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                            [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

Wifi connected, links to the Hue hub and can be automated.

Plus it's LED, so better on power and less heat generated than normal bulbs (unless you already have LED)

Comment

Working...
                              X