5g signal on 2.4g router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5g signal on 2.4g router?

I am baffled! My parents bought a new Panasonic smart TV and couldn't get it to connect to their ancient router which is hardwired to their ancient desktop pc. Since Currys were selling Netgear router extenders cheap I thought I'd try one before splashing out their cash on a new router.

Having set it up I am bit baffled how the new dual band extender is putting out a 5g signal when the router is an ancient bit of kit that isn't dual band. I have used wifi signal scanner and am seeing the 2.4g router signal, the 2.4g extender signal - but also a 5g extender signal.

How's that happen?

(For the record it all works - I connected the TV and my laptop to the 5g signal and it's stronger and faster than both 2.4g signals.)
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

A lot of modern routers will transmit the signal in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz so the repeaters will be the same.

It will be receiving the 2.4Ghz signal, processing all the information (imagine it's like a mini computer) then it can transmit that information on, using any of the technologies it's capable of.

5Ghz usually travels further in bigger rooms etc with higher speeds, but 2.4Ghz penetrates walls and things better due to the lower frequencies.

Comment

That's the weird thing - the router is single band only because it's an old one my brother gave them years ago. They live in a massive old house with solid walls - the 2.4Ghz signal is getting nowhere, it's the 5Ghz signal that's getting through. When I set the extender up I skipped the setup for the 5Ghz side of it because the router is 2.4Ghz only.

Ah well - so long as it works.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
      X