Soundbar for new HD TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundbar for new HD TV

So my parents in their infinite wisdom decided that a new TV was the thing they wanted to buy in the sales, completely spur of the moment, completely driven by price, and completely not running it by me first (not saying that in a big headed way, but they aren't techy people, if the christmas temp staff told them it made coffee too, they'd believe it, lol).

They bought a Blaupunkt 40/148. A 40" LED backlit, full HD TV. Now in fairness, when you look at it's reviews, it scores an average of 4.6 out of 5, and is actually praised for a lot of things. But the single thing it isn't praised for, infact is slated for quite harshly, is the sound.. It sports quite a number of audio processing settings, and after half hour of tweaking I've managed to get it to sound at least not entirely like an old wireless. But it's still shocking, no depth to the sound at all, tinny, shallow, booming when the volume is increased. It ruins an otherwise acceptable TV.

So I suggested gettng a oundbar to them. They already have full 5.1 surround sound as part of home cinema system, but for everyday, normal TV use, its overpowering and far too bassy with the subwoofer etc.. Now I don't really know much about soundbars, as I've never used one, other than that they're a bar of speakers that connect via optical (whcih the TV has specifically marked for a soundbar output), and it sounds infinitely better as its primary purpose is to sound good.

So now I have to recommend one to them, but it needs to sound good, as if it doesn't it'll be my fault that they bought a **** sounding TV. Lol.

So what bars have people got? Used in the past? Heard in person?

Need real life reviews rather than repeating whats on google. I've already been through WhatHifi's best top 10 lists etc..

Ideas??

Dave
    |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

[CENTER]Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
    Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque: how far you take the wall with you.[/CENTER]

Comment

We have an Orbit soundbar which works well. Our living room is quite large (30 foot by 20 foot) so it needs something reasonable to fill it with sound.

The only slight negative comment is that they aren't 100% compatible with Panasonic HD televisions, but that's down to how Panasonic send the optical HD audio feed and it's easy to work round.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

We too have an orbitsound soundbar. They have really good reviews and are pretty well priced too.
        Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

I have the same one JT
            [CENTER]Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
            Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
            Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
            Torque: how far you take the wall with you.[/CENTER]

Comment

Comment

In all honesty I wouldn't recommend a Samsung one, I only bought it for the wireless link to the TV (which works very nicely).
                I even hear the ones you can get in Tesco (is it Grundig or something?) are reasonable and cost very little.

At the end of the day none of them sound *that* great, but they are a big improvement on what the TVs have in them.
                TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

The nearest one I can see is this one (ours a BR12 but we've had it for a couple of years so it's no longer available)

ORBITSOUND T12 spatial stereo Soundbar with iPOD dock: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
                  1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by jt999 View Post
                    In all honesty I wouldn't recommend a Samsung one, I only bought it for the wireless link to the TV (which works very nicely).
                    I even hear the ones you can get in Tesco (is it Grundig or something?) are reasonable and cost very little.

At the end of the day none of them sound *that* great, but they are a big improvement on what the TVs have in them.
                    Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                    The nearest one I can see is this one (ours a BR12 but we've had it for a couple of years so it's no longer available)

ORBITSOUND T12 spatial stereo Soundbar with iPOD dock: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
                    Thanks for that! I'll take a look into that one now then, reading reviews etc they seem quite highly rated

Comment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F...IFL&ref=plSrch

Orbitsound M10LX, and it comes in on budget.
                      Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

You never watch tv anyway. Let them listen to **** quality in peace!

We have a Samsung TV here, usually just rely on normal sound from it. For films music etc, it's also connected to a Bose system, which also plays cd's DVDs radio etc too. Maybe you could convince them to buy something similar, as they're also updating DVD player too? All depends on what they use really. Music is on quote a lot here

Comment

Comment

Danny. Yes worth 170 all day long. It's worth 112 all day long too. Which is what they ended up paying after using a bunch of vouchers they forgot they had on their tesco online account.... lol

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X