Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've logged in a few times on my phone, forgotten to write anything, then closed the tab later on.
    Life has really taken a hold for me. Two little girls, and a business to run is what takes up all my time these days.
    How is everyone anyway?
    Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

I just come on here to make sure bugman hasn't completely lost the plot, he's teetering on the edge of sanity I fear

We're all grown up now, I have no idea what I do with my time but it disappears fast, especially with the current world situation. We also all seem to have gone for boring cars now, ready for out midlife crisis' to hit at some point so we can all return to our silly ways

Were any of you having to home school kids? That was awful, just awful.
      TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Well I've just retired from Rolls Royce after 40 years service. Was hoping to put my feet up .
        but with three of my daughters ether buying or moving house I've been busy with the DIY. Can't wait to get back to the Garage and start another corsa project.

Comment

Originally posted by Restorer View Post
          Well I've just retired from Rolls Royce after 40 years service. Was hoping to put my feet up .
          but with three of my daughters ether buying or moving house I've been busy with the DIY. Can't wait to get back to the Garage and start another corsa project.
          When you get time you can finish mine aswell then

Comment

Comment

Wow, congrats!

Now I know who to bother when my Rolls needs some work

Comment

If your Rollers got wings on ,with jet engines I'm your man

Comment

Congrats. Like many you realise you are busier than ever and wonder how you ever found time to go to work. Dont worry you will soon learn to adjust

Apparently some people miss going to work If so here is a project that might suit. Its in a kiddies playground in a bulgarian village. All it needs is a bit of TLC and you can take on easyjet. Or many villages have mig fighters on the village square.

Comment

If your Rollers got wings on ,with jet engines I'm your man
                    My imaginary Rolls can have anything I wish

Comment

Comment

I see that ownership of the Automobile Association (AA ) may be transferring from one investment portfolio syndicate to another.

Although I cant (quite) remember when AA and RAC patrols saluted club members driving past I do remember the days prior to 1999 when the AA and RAC were no profit making mutual Clubs for the benefit of their members.( Although the actual benefits of membership had been in decline over a long before the end. ) The profit making owners of the AA and RAC brands now exploit the past reputations wherever they can, and in my opinion many of the services they now provide under their banners (breakdown, insurance, etc ) are overpriced.

I dont mean to criticise the individual AA and RAC patrols , long may they continue to exist. But I expect the investors would love to reduce the cost of patrols if they could without it reducing the premium prices they can charge.

Just look at the German equivalent club. ADAC and Austrias 'Oamtc.' Both are still run as mutual Non profit making clubs, and still offer some fantastic benefits , product reviews and discounted prices for members. With high membership uptake . 20 million ADAC members, in a population of 83 million, Pro rata an equivalent club would have 15 million members in the uk . The AA only have about 3 million for their overpriced breakdown 'membership'.

Until recently you could even join the ADAC in the UK and use their europe wide recovery scheme in the UK and all of Europe for about half the cost of the AA./RAC I think you now have to be a german resident.

I have a local club membership for my Corsa in Bulgaria Benefits include ,all europe breakdown cover ,a free MOT test, 5% off fuel, and various discounts such as a covid test (required to enter some countries) reduced from £54 to £36 .

Why is rip off Britain letting the investors (and politicians of all parties) get away with it ?

Comment

I actually realised I have no break down cover at the weekend (when I went to drive and my car wouldn't start in the local supermarket car park). I am shocked at how much the AA and RAC charge now, they try to woo you with cheap initial offers but then renew at extortionate prices which means I simply won't sign up in the first place.

Fortunately I got the car running with a little patience (it's not the first time I've had it happen, it sometimes just doesn't want to start when it's hot, great for a car with stop start as it once did it in traffic on the M25 ).

Comment

At one time I had breakdown cover included in my car insurance. Another time I had it covered by a small separate insurance policy that was just for the breakdown cover. I think the company were called the green insurance company . It was a bargain. Unfortunately The green insurance company were taken over by Kwik Fit who on renewal wanted twice the premium for the same cover !

You might be able to find a similar such insurance. I think most insurance based schemes actually use the Green Flag control centre who dispatch independent agents . (So do the RAC and AA if they are busy) Or you could try Green Flag directly . They were recently claiming to half the cost of a quote from AA/RAC but this might only be an introductory offer.

At present my UK based Yaris is covered by the RAC using a group scheme through my former employer and Union. The cost is a fraction of what the RAC charge private customers. Although I get my own RAC call out card the cover is arranged by an Insurance Broker, so maybe the risk of too many call outs is underwritten by insurance and not born by the RAC alone.

A bit worrying about that hot start problem on a stop start car.( Especially as I am considering a VW group car for my next car. ) Breakdown cover is all very well but it takes time to arrive. Also i suspect they wont treat stop start no go's as a high priority as they know many will eventually start before they arrive.

Is it because of exceptionally hot weather . Or are you spending so much time in stop start traffic the battery doesnt get a chance to fully recharge.

EE by gum I remember a time when you didnt need stop start because there were no traffic jams. It was 6 months ago.

Although its shouldnt be necessary you might consider carrying a portable jump start system with a small built in battery.
                            Last edited by Bugman; 03-09-2020, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                              At one time I had breakdown cover included in my car insurance. Another time I had it covered by a small separate insurance policy that was just for the breakdown cover. I think the company were called the green insurance company . It was a bargain. Unfortunately The green insurance company were taken over by Kwik Fit who on renewal wanted twice the premium for the same cover !

You might be able to find a similar such insurance. I think most insurance based schemes actually use the Green Flag control centre who dispatch independent agents . (So do the RAC and AA if they are busy) Or you could try Green Flag directly . They were recently claiming to half the cost of a quote from AA/RAC but this might only be an introductory offer.

At present my UK based Yaris is covered by the RAC using a group scheme through my former employer and Union. The cost is a fraction of what the RAC charge private customers. Although I get my own RAC call out card the cover is arranged by an Insurance Broker, so maybe the risk of too many call outs is underwritten by insurance and not born by the RAC alone.

A bit worrying about that hot start problem on a stop start car.( Especially as I am considering a VW group car for my next car. ) Breakdown cover is all very well but it takes time to arrive. Also i suspect they wont treat stop start no go's as a high priority as they know many will eventually start before they arrive.

Is it because of exceptionally hot weather . Or are you spending so much time in stop start traffic the battery doesnt get a chance to fully recharge.

EE by gum I remember a time when you didnt need stop start because there were no traffic jams. It was 6 months ago.

Although its shouldnt be necessary you might consider carrying a portable jump start system with a small built in battery.

I might have a look at Green Flag, I did see them advertised when searching but didn't bother looking at them.

I did consider a battery pack but heard that these types of batteries in stop start cars aren't supposed to be jump started, perhaps I'm wrong on that though! The car is still under warranty (just over 2 years old) so I'm just going to get VW to take a proper look at it, especially as I'm considering selling it in the near to medium future. I usually turn start stop off, as I find it tends to turn off the second I want to pull away but of course it turns itself back on every time you start the car

In regards to temperature, it is a little random, not necessarily linked to outside temperature, it was only maybe 17 degrees when it happened Monday. Engine wouldn't have been super hot, I'd driven about 6-7 miles beforehand so just warm I would say! Just seems to start on 2 cylinders and then die, rather annoying.

Comment

I agree about the AA and RAC basic cover .sound cheap and what they throw in with bank accounts and insurances . What the general public don't realise with these covers is that if your car won't start outside your house you're not covered . You must be at least a mile from your home. And if you are on holiday or miles from home . They will tow you to the nearest garage, not home .then probably get ripped off by the Garage because all you want is your car back and you're dealing with them over the phone not face to face. I've got relay only with RAC so if my car or the car I'm travelling in breaks down they will tow me home to my Garage. That's the difference between Recovery and Relay . Many years ago I used to do weekends and evening cover for Green flag . We also took over from the AA and RAC after 11 o'clock at night until 7 o'clock in the morning. I found the company to be really good to work for . We had to be with the member on breakdown in half an hour on receiving the call .
                                Jump starting vehicles now is really getting doggie now, and especially the corsa D , if it's off a larger battery you can do all sorts to the electrical ..
                                and you definitely can't jump start a stop start vehicle .
                                JT what car are you having trouble starting with when hot. It could be a simple coolant temperature sensor faulty, over fuelling the engine. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X