JT's Impreza WRX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bugman View Post
    Crankshaft end float? This can be taken up when you press the clutch in. The end float may not be enough to be a problem in itself but might change the dynamics of a pulley bearing,/oil seal or something to temporarily stop it squealing.
    Wouldn't that cause a noise at all times rather than just when cruising? I'm tempted to just change the pulleys and tensioners for the AC/alternator, since last time I had a similar noise changing the belts helped for a while
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

• Maybe. I'm only speculating here . Some of the other guys have more experience.

But crankshafts often (or normally?) have a small amount of end float. a few thou maybe. Maybe its possible the crankshaft may float backwards and forwards slightly depending on the torque loading on the engine rather than just revs. It would certainly move forwards if it can when pressing in the clutch .

If you have something such as a loose pulley, oil seal, or something that is slightly rubbing or squeaking etc this very slight movement either in or out might be just enough to start or stop it . Same when you fitting new belts. This may have tightened it up just enough to run true for a while until the belt settled in.

As I say its only speculation. Dont go to any great expense on this basis alone. But if you have a pulley that is directly connected to the crankshaft rotation it might be the first place to look.
      You could try pulling on it to see if there is any perceptible in and out movement of the whole crankhaft, or of just the pulley on its mount. Some movement may be normal.

If you can do so without damaging belts etc maybe try a very brief squirt of wd 40 or something targetted to where it could be rubbing to see if its gives a temporary fix .

Comment

• I've ordered a stethoscope that should be here tomorrow, will see if I can rule out the basics first (hopefully won't dig it into any moving parts!)

Comment

• Looks like it might well be the AC tensioner pulley bearing, had it out and I wouldn't exactly say it's freely spinning! Ordered a new one so will fit that in the week if the weather is up to it.

Also have the engine bay a little bit of a clean, far from perfect, and Boxer engines always look dreadful anyway!

Really need to replace the intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Everyone gives the boxer engine a slating for its looks.
            i like it... Better than a Renesis engine
            Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Everyone gives the boxer engine a slating for its looks.
              i like it... Better than a Renesis engine
              It's functional but so messy!

Comment

• Well replacing that pulley just made it obvious there were 2 noises, so now the noise I was annoyed by is even more prominent

Noise happens at all RPM (exhaust noise takes over from about 2000rpm, but I'm sure noise continues), and any gear (including neutral) unless the clutch is pressed. My googling suggests this would be the clutch release bearing, and the noises sound similar to some YouTube videos I found.

Waiting for a quote back from my mechanic on a new bearing and a new clutch, as seems pointless having everything apart and not doing something a bit more 'major'. My bank is crying in anticipation

Comment

• Sounds like clutch release bearing to me too, pushing the clutch pedal loads up the bearing and stops noise. Make sure your getting a good brand clutch fitted

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                    Sounds like clutch release bearing to me too, pushing the clutch pedal loads up the bearing and stops noise. Make sure your getting a good brand clutch fitted

Thanks for the explanation, and will do!

Whilst I haven't been able to do much, I've finally finished my sound deadening, I ran out of alluminum tape about 40cm short originally and then we had bad weather for a while, I know it makes no difference but visually it's better taped! Sound deadening has improved daily driving massively.

Comment

• Looks good, I have anyways thought same about exhausts, should sound good but never annoy when driving. I like to enjoy driving lol

Comment

• Mechanic is outside fitting a new Exedy clutch and hopefully resolving the clutch release bearing noise. Rubbish weather for it, but will be nice to have less noises in the car!

Comment

• Glad to hear it dude
                          Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

• Didn't go quite to plan, the coolant expansion tank got damaged at some point during the work (plastic nozzle snapped off), so now waiting on prices and availability from Subaru.

Also was missing a bolt on the rear propshaft or something, so hopefully Subaru can work out what part number those are!

Comment

• 133+vat, for a bit of bloody plastic

Comment

• Bugger, do they hold a bottle instock?

Comment

Working...
                                X