No announcement yet.

JT's Impreza WRX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car was lovely and clean, then a gritter decided to turn on as he went past me, bloody *******s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

• Ugh...stupid winter
      Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

• Got that slight noise again, but with the sound deadening it's a little clearer, and has slowly got louder. I think it's mostly when staying at the same RPM, it's kind of a fast tapping/ringing. I'll recheck the aux and air con belt tensions at the weekend (the belts were replaced about a month ago, and this stopped the noise, so wonder if it's stretched a little or something - does this sound normal?).

If the noise doesn't get sorted by that, I'm probably going to look at having the cambelt, tensioners, water pump, the 2 belts from last month, and the pulleys etc. It's doing my head in!

Did a quick capture of the cabin noise since the sound deadening went in, massive improvement! The stereo is set to what would probably be above average in a quiet car, but not loud, and music is clear (Linkin Park 4eva)

Comment

• 49mph sounds fantastic!

also...i got carried away listening to the warble...

I could hear the whistle at the begining...get a FauxPro and stick it in the engine bay facing where you think the noise is...then go for a drive...see what it sounds like?
          I dunno
          Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
            49mph sounds fantastic!

also...i got carried away listening to the warble...

I could hear the whistle at the begining...get a FauxPro and stick it in the engine bay facing where you think the noise is...then go for a drive...see what it sounds like?
            I dunno
            49mph is the best speed for sure, it's really amazing how much of a different a little sound deadening can be

The whistle isn't really a worry, I think it's actually just the turbo spooling

Perhaps I'll try your idea, but to be honest I'm not sure there is room to stick one

Comment

• Weather seemed alright so checked the belts are tight, they are about right I think.

Took it out to try and capture the noise on camera, and managed it! You might have to turn volume up a bit to hear it over the normal noises an Impreza makes...

You can hear is slight at 3-12 seconds
              Then a lot better at 20-26 seconds
              It's kind of a slight ringing/chirping noise

Suggestions on a postcard

The noise seems to stop if I accelerate, and is loudest when I'm at low(ish) RPM driving. Can't tell where it's coming from inside the bay, it's far too loud in there

Comment

• If the whistle is going under load/acceleration, wouldn't that indicate idler pulley bearing or something?
                Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

If the whistle is going under load/acceleration, wouldn't that indicate idler pulley bearing or something?
                  The noise I'm worried about is the kind of ringing/tapping (volume needs to be fairly high to hear it, but it's like a high pitched tapping or something), unless that's what you're calling a whistle?

Comment

• Only thing can hear in phone sounds like wind noise tbh

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                      Only thing can hear in phone sounds like wind noise tbh
                      Just listened on my phone too, that sound isn't actually there in the car, and sounds totally different on PC, weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Edited out as much background noise as I could, not sure it'll help diagnose though

Comment

• Went out today to try to capture some better audio (dashcam doesn't have the best mic), it's more audible here (the video contains unedited audio, and some audio were I've taken the same clip and got rid of the rumble to make the ringing I'm talking about more clear).

Any ideas at all? One thing I noticed, as soon as I press the clutch in the noise stops, even if I'm moving at the same rate. It might be linked to engine speed, but I can't hear it when not moving but at the same RPM (maybe 1500-2000RPM when driving), possibly due to the noise of the exhaust.

Comment

• Video is unavailable...

Could it be the clutch release bearing?
                            Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Video is unavailable...

Could it be the clutch release bearing?
                              I had it set to private, sorted now! And I don't think so, doesn't sound like any videos I've seen with that issue

Comment

• Crankshaft end float? This can be taken up when you press the clutch in. The end float may not be enough to be a problem in itself but might change the dynamics of a pulley bearing,/oil seal or something to temporarily stop it squealing.

Comment

Working...
                                X