JT's Impreza WRX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lee View Post
    I used to remember listening to music when on the motorway being pointless in the Evo.
    Yup, it's frustrating as you can't even have a conversation with someone sat next to you without shouting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

• Vegas I tried some talc on the belt, at first it made a horrendous squealing, then settled, does that sound normal? :S

Not sure if it's helped with the overall noise yet, I need to get the car quite warm to be sure (exhaust isn't quite so loud when it's hot, so have a chance of hearing it). I'll try it tonight.

Can the car run without an alternator belt for a short period of time? I'm thinking of removing it to see if the noise stops, as at the moment I'm guessing and could be wrong!

Comment

• Scrap that, I think the same belt does more than just the alternator, I might just have it changed to be sure.

Comment

• Itís normal to squeak from
          cold
          if belt isnít adjusted properly. Should be able to tighten it a bit adjusting a bolt somewhere.
          sometikes belts do multiple jobs including driving waterpump, so wouldnít suggest removing it, especially for long period of time

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post
            Itís normal to squeak from
            cold
            if belt isnít adjusted properly. Should be able to tighten it a bit adjusting a bolt somewhere.
            sometikes belts do multiple jobs including driving waterpump, so wouldnít suggest removing it, especially for long period of time
            The belt squeals super badly now a few seconds after starting the car for about 5-10 seconds (at least I think it's the belt), will look to tighten it as it's not a big job, just a pain in the rain and cold! Won't run without it, as I think it does water pump and power steering also, so doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks for advice Mark

Comment

• Could be belt ageing and going hard or tention, most cars have auto tentioner so not sure if you could adjust that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Decided to pull the dashcam footage to see if I can hear it, first video you hear the worst noise which starts at about 7 seconds and sorts itself out at about 23 seconds, but that only happens when I start the car (only from cold I think)

Second sound is hardest to explain so hopefully the sound will help - you can hear it near the end of the video. It seems to be present most of the time (unsure if it's louder when I turn, hard to pinpoint over exhaust noise). I'm concerned I'm ignoring it as a belt noise when it could be something else. Any internet mechanics want to try and help settle my nerves?

Comment

• The first video:

My Civic used to do that. It was my idler pulley, I had a spare but never bothered replacing it. Did it for the 2 years I had the car.

2nd Video:

We talking about that slight ticking noise right at the end?
                  Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

• Sorry to say this JT but sounds to me like it may be more than just the belt. .An ancillary (pump or whatever) may be running a bit rough for some reason and the extra resistance to turning may be indirectly causing the belt to slip. But of course I might be wrong . It could still be down to idler pulleys and adjustment.

You, may also be able to isolate the source of noise using a mechanics stethoscope (or maybe a small directional microphone) But all things sound noisy when you do this. The skill comes in knowing what is normal and what is not. And be careful of moving parts.

An experienced mechanic who knows what is normal may be able to diagnose a faulty ancillary by removing the belt and turning it by hand,feeling for resistance, roughness and play.

If you think there is something like a pulley or idler bearing running dry you could try a squirt of wd40. This would only be a very temporary cure but can help in diagnosis. Do one at a time to help identify the culprit.
                    Last edited by Bugman; 21-12-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      The first video:

2nd Video:

We talking about that slight ticking noise right at the end?
                      Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                        Sorry to say this JT but sounds to me like it may be more than just the belt. .An ancillary (pump or whatever) may be running a bit rough for some reason and the extra resistance to turning may be indirectly causing the belt to slip. But of course I might be wrong . It could still be down to idler pulleys and adjustment.

You, may also be able to isolate the source of noise using a mechanics stethoscope (or maybe a small directional microphone) But all things sound noisy when you do this. The skill comes in knowing what is normal and what is not. And be careful of moving parts.

An experienced mechanic who knows what is normal may be able to diagnose a faulty ancillary by removing the belt and turning it by hand,feeling for resistance, roughness and play.

If you think there is something like a pulley or idler bearing running dry you could try a squirt of wd40. This would only be a very temporary cure but can help in diagnosis. Do one at a time to help identify the culprit.
                        I wouldn't know what an idler pulley looks like

Maybe will just try to get it booked into the garage...

Comment

• Decided to book the car in for a service (I had it done 3.5k miles ago, but as I'm planning to drive it to France in a few months it made sense to get it out of the way) and get them to take a look at the noise at the same time - I don't have the patience!

So question I guess is, do we think it's OK to drive it until it goes in at beginning of January?

Comment

• As long as you are not planning any long transcontinental journeys and the noise remains intermittent and bearable it will probably be ok. Think again if it rapidly becomes worse to the point you fear something might suddenly seize. But be extra careful if it could be the water pump as this might suddenly develop a major leak and dump your coolant. But a squirt of oil and a bit of adjustment might be all it needs

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                              As long as you are not planning any long transcontinental journeys and the noise remains intermittent and bearable it will probably be ok. Think again if it rapidly becomes worse to the point you fear something might suddenly seize. But be extra careful if it could be the water pump as this might suddenly develop a major leak and dump your coolant. But a squirt of oil and a bit of adjustment might be all it needs
                              I'm planning at most 20 miles at a time over Christmas (I use the GFs car whenever possible anyway, far cheaper to run, and I don't lose my parking space )

Thanks for your help dude, I hope you have a great Christmas - I'll report back here if anything changes such as the engine falling out

Comment

• Had a spare few hours so been working on some sound deadening in the boot, I know the idea is usually to save weight but I think the car is plenty fast enough so a little extra won't hurt I'm sure!

Should finish it tomorrow, so far it's not a massive difference, but slightly more bearable on a drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X