No announcement yet.

JT's Impreza WRX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some new(ish) problems to deal with now everything else is working...

If I try to use the steering just after starting it squeals a bit like I'd expect an alternator belt to squeal, it's fine after about a minute though, any ideas? The belts don't seem loose and look in good shape.
    Tapping coming from the engine area, but I *think* it's only sometimes, it's hard to say as the car is obviously quite loud, probably a more urgent thing to look at...
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

• Belt could be too tight?

You sure that the tapping is new? Or you've just noticed it as you've had previous issues and you're subconsciously looking for faults?

I do it all the tube
      Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Belt could be too tight?

You sure that the tapping is new? Or you've just noticed it as you've had previous issues and you're subconsciously looking for faults?

I do it all the tube
        Would have thought it'd make a noise more often if it was too tight? This is only just after starting if I turn straight away.

Maybe, I drove today and actually couldn't hear any tapping, maybe it was just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Was it extra cold the day you heard the tapping though?

Important question...does it boost and how much fun is it
          Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Was it extra cold the day you heard the tapping though?

Important question...does it boost and how much fun is it
            No, I'd just driven it to Wales and back (~420 miles) too so the engine would have been super heat soaked, doubt the outside temperature would have impacted it much! I had a fairly big headache at the time, to the point where the engine didn't sound nearly as loud.

Of course it boosts, it's great fun for the 2 seconds I get before then hitting the speed limit
            I don't drive it much these days if I'm honest (maybe once a week at most), I only drove it yesterday to go and fill it up with fuel as I knew it'd annoy me next time I had to drive it

Still considering selling, will need the power steering squeal sorted first though as don't want to risk selling a car that isn't pretty much perfect. I've been looking at a lot of other cars lately, and am yet to find 'the one' that makes me advertise this. I've been looking at C63s, some Evos (6's or 8's mainly, although I do like the 10's), and some TVRs (unlikely to ever happen due to reliability, but I am fond of them). Once Christmas is out of the way I'll have to make a decision, I might just keep this and do a bit more work on it assuming it stays solid mechanically.

Comment

• Have you checked the power steering fluid level?
              Certain classics can be a hassle for reliability but may be worth it if you can write off some of the cost against low depreciation, or better still, increasing value. Doesnt seem like it at the time the bills come in but losing more than half the value of a car over 3 years is no fun either. Best to have a backup car though.

Comment

• Yep fluid is good, I'd hoped value would hold out, but it's not doing so great currently

Comment

• Stick some talc on the belt, see if squealing stops. It gives extra grip to the belt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                    Stick some talc on the belt, see if squealing stops. It gives extra grip to the belt.
                    Someone told me that but I assumed they were joking

I'll give it a go, cheers

Comment

• Decided to keep it, for now.

Ordered some sound deadening stuff, plan to line the boot around where the exhaust is, see if I can reduce cabin noise just a little

Comment

• What is reduce cabin noise?!

Are you 72?
                        Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

What is reduce cabin noise?!

Are you 72?
                          I think perhaps you underestimate just how loud it is
                          It's fine for an hour or two, but I'm driving it to France next year - I did Wales and back a few weeks ago and had a headache for about 2 days

Comment

• get a decibel meter and put it in the boot for me I'm intrigued
                            Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

get a decibel meter and put it in the boot for me I'm intrigued
                              I actually have one somewhere from my subwoofer days, I'll see if I can find it, although I'm hoping to do the sound deadening Thursday if it arrives in time - not sure it'll make much difference but I'm hoping for some.

Comment

• I used to remember listening to music when on the motorway being pointless in the Evo.
                                Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X