• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, very understanding Mrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Restorer View Post
      Wow, very understanding Mrs.
      She had little say in the matter

Here are the different switches for non auto to auto conversion I did, not bad for aftermarket, looks OEM+ and working perfectly

Comment

Switch definitely looks OEM . Site looking more healthy now .

Comment

Had a bit of a nightmare with this lately. Passed MOT with no issues at all (not surprising, I've done around 3k miles in a year, and maintained it well). Few days later a light started flashing on the dash (a coil) and then about 10 mins later the EML came on. I ran it through code reader and it was complaining about sensors and I couldn't clear the codes (well, I could, they just came back). Had a look under the van and found wires just dangling down on the road that should have gone to 2 of my exhaust gas temp sensors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4B579326-0B3A-4A09-805D-DD67B166A2FD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.0 KB ID:	126850

I put it down to perhaps something getting knocked during the MOT, the wires coming down and then me driving ripped out the wiring a bit and destroyed much of it.

2 new sensors later (the pre-DPF one was a ***** to get to)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	685CA756-0BB6-4FB9-8A24-D9D6B64AC348.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.3 KB ID:	126851

All was well, van running well again.
          1 week (to the day) later I started it up to take it for its service and the dreaded light was back. I didn't have time to investigate and the garage said they'd have a look whilst doing the service - they called to say it looks like the wiring is broken between the sensor and the connector, and much of the wire is gone...
          Outside I found this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	C93B742F-5EC3-45C4-B063-882373989535.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	211.0 KB ID:	126852
          It appears a fox or similar animal has been under and ripped the wiring out! Teeth marks all over it and multiple wire breaks! Apparently this is fairly common on Transporters in the south, the foxes love wire sleeving as it contains soy

So back to van being off the road whilst I wait for a new sensor, not sure how I'm going to break this chain of animals eating the wiring though! I've bought one of those ultrasonic repellent things in the hopes that it'll help, plus I'm planning to coat the new wires in a layer of gas rubber hose and cable ties (cut sharply, like barbed wire but much less dangerous to the animals, an idea I pinched from a VW California forum). I've also bought some repellent spray but I don't hold out much hope for that.

I realise this is very much a minor issue, but it's very inconvenient

Comment

Glad you got to the bottom of it. You sure those foxes weren't trying to steal your cat or DPF Filter. Been a lot of that round here at the moment.

Comment

Glad you got to the bottom of it. You sure those foxes weren't trying to steal your cat or DPF Filter. Been a lot of that round here at the moment.
              Not sure they just chew on the cables when trying to steal those, covered in teeth marks

Comment

They are thieving rats though. I had a front abs wire chewed by a mouse or something in Bulgaria. Its a real nuisance, although I havnt taken any preventative measures.

It probably a fox because the wiring was ripped out,not just chewed in situe.. Could be a cat, but wouldn't they just lick it ? (cat'll lick it converter ) Unfortunately nocturnal creatures tend to follow regular foraging routes and any new wiring or protective sheathing may be even more smelly and attractive.

Deterrent sprays that smell or taste horrible may help but these are usually intended for rodents . It might not work as well for foxes etc.(which it may be) but worth a try. Or maybe that bitter stuff intended to stop humans biting their nails.There may be soya in the wiring. A few years ago fish glue used in wiring loom wrapping was blamed. But I had hard plastic fitting on a garden pump used to pump smelly waste water chewed , probably by a beech marten (a member of the weasel family) They can be attracted by smells that humans find repulsive so sprays might not work. And something a fox might hate a mouse might love.

Thick rubbber or pvc sheathing might just be more food. Maybe wrapping in something prickly and bristled that makes it less attractive to even bite into. Such as bottle washing brush, or there could be christmas decoration festoons.
                Last edited by Bugman; 28-10-2021, 09:02 AM.

Comment

So my new sensor arrived and I went to install it to find they'd chewed through the other sensor again too so had to order that one and wait again. I'm going to go bankrupt on these damn sensors.

I've added some anti-fox measures with the thick rubber tubing and cable ties cut to act a little like barbed wire, so far so good (though it's only been 5 days).
                  I've also put a motion sensor ultrasonic noise thing under the van when it's parked and have been spraying the ground with peppermint oil which is hopefully strong enough that they can't smell the soya in the cables.
                  If it happens again you'll see me on the news for committing mass murder to all foxes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C4867A5C-A01E-4083-887E-51E01C5C4BCB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	316.8 KB ID:	126880

Comment

Fox tooth brush. I'd be inclined to set up a trail camera or dashcam to try and positively identify the size and variety of critter. . Easy to say when you have one.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your urban Fox problem JT.
                      those sensor ain't cheap. Perhaps you could wrap some small chicken wire around it as well. Leaving the cable ties sticking through the wire.
                      love the James Bond motion sensor idea.
                      ​​​​​​​Perhaps instead of a noise, you could rig it up to a light.

Comment

• Maybe a sudden strobing light or buzzer that frightens the,erm droppings,out of them .Which you can identify. I'm beginning to think maybe squirrels. If you could deter them long enough it could break the cycle of mother teaching babies where to get tasty soya with a tangy copper sauce. Deliveroo

Stop press. I have literally just had a fox chasing a squirrel in the garden. There's a solution JT. Train one species to stand guard and chase off the nibblers.
                        Last edited by Bugman; 14-11-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                          Maybe a sudden strobing light or buzzer that frightens the,erm droppings,out of them .Which you can identify. I'm beginning to think maybe squirrels. If you could deter them long enough it could break the cycle of mother teaching babies where to get tasty soya with a tangy copper sauce. Deliveroo

Stop press. I have literally just had a fox chasing a squirrel in the garden. There's a solution JT. Train one species to stand guard and chase off the nibblers.
                          I did see a motion activated light thing that looked like animal eyes, meant to scare them off as they think it's a predator. For now I'll stick with these options though (it's cost a small fortune). I'll keep training squirrels as a plan B

Sorry to hear about your urban Fox problem JT.
                          those sensor ain't cheap. Perhaps you could wrap some small chicken wire around it as well. Leaving the cable ties sticking through the wire.
                          love the James Bond motion sensor idea.
                          Perhaps instead of a noise, you could rig it up to a light.
                          If it happens again maybe, it's not much fun getting under the van to work on!

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                          Fox tooth brush. I'd be inclined to set up a trail camera or dashcam to try and positively identify the size and variety of critter. . Easy to say when you have one.
                          I did look but those cameras are pricey! 99% sure it's foxes, teeth marks looked about right and we have loads of the *******s around at night screaming

Comment

Working...
                          X