JT's Golf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Traitor Car] JT's Golf

Suppose as I've had this a few months, I should probably post it.

After driving the Impreza to Paris and back I decided to rethink my 'daily driver' car as both my wallet and my ears were hurting. I began looking for a normal (dull) car for that purpose. Originally I was looking at the Ford Focus but couldn't find the spec/colour I wanted so I decided to look at Golf's - I'd heard they were good, reliable cars, and although a bit bland to look at, OK to drive. I couldn't get as high spec for the budget, but that's just due to the Golf's holding their value better I suppose, surprisingly the salesman at the Ford dealership said the Golf would be a better car.

I found this one, a 2018 Golf SE Nav with 13k miles for a good price so I bought it. It's turbo'ed, it's a 7 speed DSG, but since the engine is only a 1.0 that was never going to be huge power . It is however, much quicker than I'd expected for such a small engine - most importantly for me though, it is under warranty and does decent MPG.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	122947

Not really planning to modify it, I've had a detachable towbar fitted and coded already, and am looking to have a reverse camera fitted so I can easily check the status of the bikes on the bike rack, but as that's a 900 job it can wait a little while! Perhaps change out the wheels as I'm not keen on them.
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

My next car may be a 1 litre ,3 cylinder, petrol turbo. Possibly a VW . Its hard for us old school 'you cant beat cubes' folk to accept a 1 litre can deliver sufficient power. Amazing how they can apparently increase power outputs further still with little more than re mapping.

I typically do long transcontinental trips cruising at 75 - 80 mph by satnav (maybe 80 -90 mph showing on speedo) (3000 rpm on my Toyota diesel ) with occasional squirts faster for overtakes.

Do you think a VW 1 litre turbo (probably not 7 speed DSG) would meet my needs without being a buzz box or gas guzzler?

I had heard that the 1 litre turbo Fords struggle to deliver their claimed mpg figures at speed but I suppose thats true of most cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
      My next car may be a 1 litre ,3 cylinder, petrol turbo. Possibly a VW . Its hard for us old school 'you cant beat cubes' folk to accept a 1 litre can deliver sufficient power. Amazing how they can apparently increase power outputs further still with little more than re mapping.

I typically do long transcontinental trips cruising at 75 - 80 mph by satnav (maybe 80 -90 mph showing on speedo) (3000 rpm on my Toyota diesel ) with occasional squirts faster for overtakes.

Do you think a VW 1 litre turbo (probably not 7 speed DSG) would meet my needs without being a buzz box or gas guzzler?

I had heard that the 1 litre turbo Fords struggle to deliver their claimed mpg figures at speed but I suppose thats true of most cars.
      It's quick enough, I have the 7 speed DSG and average about 45MPG when driving normally around town, although I don't think it'd do much better even if I was careful to be honest. I don't often do long journeys, but I did London and back a few weeks ago and it was still around 50MPG overall. I don't think you can really get near the advertised 59MPG combined.
      It's a little noisier at speed, but coming from the Impreza, or even our 09 Megane it's much quieter, so perhaps no louder than a normal 4 cylinder
      TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Thanks for the info. Pretty much as I expected. Good engines, but maybe not as economical as they claim. It will be a double whammy for me as my Diesel Yaris gives a genuine 60 mpg+ and I buy most of my fuel in countries where diesel is cheaper than petrol.

Although my Yaris is 12 years old I've owned it from new and its only done 55K miles so I might just keep it a while and see how technology develops. Its worth more to me than its current market value reflects , but if its lets go big time in Poland,Romania etc, I can just scrap it, with minimal actual losses. -( You still see them transporting UK registered scrappers across to eastern europe)

I'm really only thinking of going back to petrol as an increasing number of european towns and cities are anti diesel. (a couple even have special restrictions on VW's due to the emmisions scandle ) But I have a couple of permits that cover me for most at present.

I had thought to include the 1 litre turbo corsa E in my list of potential possible replacements . But I see the new Corsa F, due for release soon, is actually a Peugeot in all but name ( Peugeot/Citroen Chassis engines and interior. ) Also it may be their budget range (partly developed by their Chinese partners, and all in a bit of a rush after PSA groupe aquired Opel/Vauxhall.) I'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
        X