Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glacier White 1.2 Sxi

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Corsa D] Glacier White 1.2 Sxi

    So had this about a month now and just decided to join the forum today.

    Not done much to it for now, mainly looking at fixing cosmetic things wrong with it, crack on the rear bumper, rusting on the wheel arches.. and curb rash, yay.

    When I got it there had been nothing done to it. So far all Iíve done is debadged and dechromed it and in my opinion it already looks a lot better.

    I took the time to wrap the head unit and steering controls in carbon fibre, just need to replace my ugly grey radio. Will get pics of that uploaded!
    Iíve got wind defectors and interior LEDs on their way which I canít wait to pop on.
    Thinking of tinting my taillights also
    Iíve also just recently done away with my panel filter and popped on a cone filter, although Iím not 100% on it..
    Iím really interested in either getting the alloys coated in bronze or whole new alloys altogether, thoughts and opinions appreciated!

  • #2
    Hi Welcome to the forum
    Looks good . And I'm sure you will get a lot of pride and satisfaction from doing the upgrades and making the car personal.

    Like you I am not 100% about the cone filter. A cone filter alone often doesnt bring any noticeable improvement in performance and might even be worse, or cause problems unless the whole system is tuned and remapped to match. .(dont throw the original parts away btw if you havnt already done so. Its useful to be able to return to original for comparison purposes from time to time)

    And a cone might only improve under bonnet appearance when its part of a complete induction sytem makeover with blue pipes,stainless steel an the like.

    I cant comment on the wheels . They look good to me as they are. Have you tried photoshopping different colours and styles of wheels onto a photo of your car. You could even try how it looks with different colour brake calipers if that appeals.

    If you cant then decide post the results for opinions.
    Last edited by Bugman; 01-02-2019, 07:22 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks nice dude!!

      On the cone filter subject, heat soak is the main issue i found with the 1.2. Mine really didn't like it! Sounded ace, but didn't run well!! Get a heat shield though and it'll smarten it up and lessen the heat soak chance, and leave the cold air feed pipe in (I did anyway)

      Looking forward to pics of the carbon wrapping
      Like me...feed me likes!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bugman View Post
        Hi Welcome to the forum
        Looks good . And I'm sure you will get a lot of pride and satisfaction from doing the upgrades and making the car personal.

        Like you I am not 100% about the cone filter. A cone filter alone often doesnt bring any noticeable improvement in performance and might even be worse, or cause problems unless the whole system is tuned and remapped to match. .(dont throw the original parts away btw if you havnt already done so. Its useful to be able to return to original for comparison purposes from time to time)

        And a cone might only improve under bonnet appearance when its part of a complete induction sytem makeover with blue pipes,stainless steel an the like.

        I cant comment on the wheels . They look good to me as they are. Have you tried photoshopping different colours and styles of wheels onto a photo of your car. You could even try how it looks with different colour brake calipers if that appeals.

        If you cant then decide post the results for opinions.
        Thanks man, thankfully I kept the panel filter and box (mainly because I was hesitant). Iíll most likely change it back to panel filter at a later date until I save up my pennies for a nice clean makeover that Iím really happy with.

        I did think of photoshopping different colours and styles onto a photo, itís the reason I took the side profile.. just havenít gotten round to it yet. As for callipers theyíre on my list of things to do, I was thinking a nice blue but already have red calliper paint which Iím waiting for better weather to do (hereís hoping)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Looks nice dude!!

          On the cone filter subject, heat soak is the main issue i found with the 1.2. Mine really didn't like it! Sounded ace, but didn't run well!! Get a heat shield though and it'll smarten it up and lessen the heat soak chance, and leave the cold air feed pipe in (I did anyway)

          Looking forward to pics of the carbon wrapping
          Yeah mate Iím having the same opinion of it right now, looks and sounds great. Although Iím not having any performance issues right now Iím dreading getting into warmer weather, but the heat shield sounds like a great bit of advice Iím definitely going to be looking into it.

          I also got LEDs delivered today so slapped them in (still need to do some cable management and tuck some away) I think it adds a little more character to it.

          Excuse the bit of mess in the photos, the footwells are in need of a Hoover.. but Iím fairly happy with the wrap, a few imperfections here and there but considering itís my first time wrapping vinyl Iím pretty chuffed with the outcome, just canít wait to get the ugly grey radio swapped out for a much better looking alternative!

          Comment


          • #6
            When you replace the radio dont chuck it away, even if you dont intend refitting it when selling the car . It looks like it is a cd30mp3 which, unlike the earlier cd30 , can be fitted with an aux socket for connecting to a smartphone. So it will fetch a few quid on ebay etc from frustrated cd30 owners.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bugman View Post
              When you replace the radio dont chuck it away, even if you dont intend refitting it when selling the car . It looks like it is a cd30mp3 which, unlike the earlier cd30 , can be fitted with an aux socket for connecting to a smartphone. So it will fetch a few quid on ebay etc from frustrated cd30 owners.
              Cheers mate, had no clue on this. I was intending on refitting when I came to selling but at least now I know I have another option, great but of advice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't tint the rear lights. It never looks good. Looks for proper replacement lights if you want to change the look of them.
                Please contact me via PM if you would like to transfer your AllCorsa Gold Membership over to our VIP Membership. It's completely free to do so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lee View Post
                  Don't tint the rear lights. It never looks good. Looks for proper replacement lights if you want to change the look of them.
                  This isnít a bad shout, actually never considered this. Iíve looked into replacing the headlights as I donít quite like the look of them, perhaps now Iíll look to do the same with the taillights, cheers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DanielS11D View Post

                    This isnít a bad shout, actually never considered this. Iíve looked into replacing the headlights as I donít quite like the look of them, perhaps now Iíll look to do the same with the taillights, cheers
                    I think the Facelift SXi or the SRi came with rinted rear lights dude


                    edit:

                    Vauxhall Corsa D 3 Door VXR SRI 06-10 Smoked Rear Tail Lights Set Pair OEM Valeo 3276420435952 | eBay

                    Also, if you haven't already, I'd look at getting some chrome indicator bulbs gets rid of the egg yolk effect!!
                    Like me...feed me likes!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you can cover the stereo in the carbon fibre wrap (probably hard with the buttons) I think it'd actually look quite smart. Nice little car though, your plans sound solid
                      TheCorsa's friendly predator

                      I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Michael View Post

                        I think the Facelift SXi or the SRi came with rinted rear lights dude


                        edit:

                        Vauxhall Corsa D 3 Door VXR SRI 06-10 Smoked Rear Tail Lights Set Pair OEM Valeo 3276420435952 | eBay

                        Also, if you haven't already, I'd look at getting some chrome indicator bulbs gets rid of the egg yolk effect!!
                        Yeah man which reminds me of another thing for the list I prefer the facelift bumper a lot more than the pre and really want to change it.

                        appreciate the link mate, cheaper than I could find

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jt999 View Post
                          If you can cover the stereo in the carbon fibre wrap (probably hard with the buttons) I think it'd actually look quite smart. Nice little car though, your plans sound solid
                          I could give it a try, Iíd imagine if I get the faceplate off it might be pretty straight forward but small holes might make it hard. Alternatively Iím also looking at getting a new radio which would either look better or I can wrap the alternative

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've never used wrap (unless you include fablon ) so I dont know how it works and feels or how you normally cut it it for shapes. But could the following work?

                            Take a photo of the radio and print it on plain paper 100% exactly life size to use as a pattern . Place the wrap against a piece of plywood etc with the pattern on top. Then carefully cut the 'button holes' by putting a suitable sized washer or coin on the pattern and carefully cutting round their edge with a craft knife. Gluing a holding stick to the washer or coin (or is that treason?) might help to keep it firmly in place when cutting. The pattern and craft knife could also be used for other cut outs.

                            Or you could try using the pattern to drill all the holes in the correct place on a piece of perspex or something similar that gives sharp edges to the holes.Then do a sort of brass rubbing with the wrap,which will reveal the outline of the holes. Then, still leaving the perspex in place,make use of the sharp edge of the hole to help cut the wrap.A bit like trimming pastry around a pie dish

                            I originally had a cunning plan about cutting the holes using a wood bit in a drill or making a hole punch by sharpening some thin walled pipe but have edited it out as its unduly complicated and may not work.
                            Last edited by Bugman; 04-02-2019, 02:01 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I've previously done some wrapping on internal components (I wrapped the centre console on my EP3).

                              Just use heat to warm it and make i plyable.

                              When you get to the buttons, just push through with your finger (heat up the area and keep adding heat periodically) and smooth it around the back of the hole.

                              It's pretty easy wrapping small or flat items.
                              Like me...feed me likes!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X